Should I re-install Mac OS after buying used?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ndDesign, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ndDesign macrumors newbie

I am buying a used MBP off ebay and the seller is including some software that I'd like to use but not including the discs. Normally, I would reinstall the OS but I don't want to lose the software. The seller asures me that he's reinstalling the OS and then only installing the editing software program. Since his seller rating is very good (100% positive; score of 88) I'm inclined to believe him.

My question is, is there any chance of him installing some sort of software program that could somehow send him private information about me like bank account ID's and passwords? Is there a way to check for that?

Should I just do my own reinstall (with the OS disc I already have) to be sure? Or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

Thanks...

Also, I'd appreciate it if responses were kept to the question I asked.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Possible, but highly unlikely. I'd do a fresh install to be safe. Could you move the software to an external drive beforehand? (even though he really shouldnt be including the software without the discs).

3. ThePreditor macrumors member

You'd be downright foolish not to wipe that drive and reinstall a fresh OS. Who the heck knows what's on there. I wouldn't trust a used machine at all when it comes to potential snooping software. Mac or not.

Also, what he's doing is questionable by giving you pre-installed software. Buy it yourself, or at the very least, get your hands on it and install it yourself.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I don't care what nifty software is on there... I ALWAYS wipe and re-install a fresh copy of an OS when I buy used computers. It's just safe practice.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would reinstall it, as far as the software goes, by using it without the disks you're technically pirating it anyway so if you don't have a problem with that then just obtain the software elsewhere and reinstall it, otherwise buy the software.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Are you sure the OS disc you have will actually startup the MBP you're buying?

7. ndDesign thread starter macrumors newbie

With all the comments made, sounds like I'll go with the fresh re-install.

8. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Good decision :D! What version of OS X does your MacBook Pro come with and what version do you plan on reinstalling?

BTW another reason not to keep included software is that the software's ULA can be violated.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Right - most software requires you to include the media if you sell the computer.

any time you buy a computer with lots of software installed but no disc it's usually pirated software anyway.

10. garbeth macrumors regular

Excellent descision! :)

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

A fresh install from disks I know the source is the only way to trust the system later ...