Should I re-purchase an ATV2 online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lorenn.x, May 19, 2012.

1. Lorenn.x macrumors newbie

I'm searching everywhere for an Apple TV 2. I purchased one online almost 2 months ago and got an Apple TV 3!!! instead. I'm furious and still waiting for Paypal to give me a refund. Seller sold many, and had a great feedback ratio, I guess that isn't enough..

I can't wait anymore but I'm really hesitant to purchase it online again, but I've looked on Kijiji and can't find one anywhere in my area. Not to mention they just keep going up in price. $150 - $180 2 months ago, now they are $220 - $280. Such a piss off that things couldn't go right the first time. Should I take the dive and purchase ANOTHER one online??

Just need some other opinions.. Thanks.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Wow I had no idea that atv2s (assuming on OSX 4) were going for that much! I should really sell mine and upgrade....

3. Niteace macrumors member

I think it's likely the seller thought he/she was doing u a favour by giving u a 3? Or at least didn't think u would notice. How satistically likely is it that u would get.burned again? And even tho eBay/PayPal are taking their time I'm sure u will still get a refund. So if a 2 is what u want is there any other option really? I don't know if it's cost effective at those prices 4 u, I guess u just know that.

4. Lorenn.x thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, yeah, now would be a good time. The ATV 3 can't be jailbroken (or atleast not yet - but many sources say it may never, or not fully be able to be jailbroken) which is why everyone wants the 2nd gen.

Favor? Not at all. You can buy a Apple TV 3 in store which retails for $99. It's worthless. I purchased it for $160. No way I'm paying more to wait for something when I can walk across the street and buy it, lol.

It was definitely a scam though - Seller wouldn't reply to my emails, etc. They probably didn't think I'd notice since the box isn't scattered with "Apple TV 3", it just says Apple TV. If I didn't check the model #, I would never have known.

Cost effective.. Not anymore. At the time I bought it, they were a bit more common, and like I said, able to be found for less than $200. But while waiting for this stupid refund, the price has gone up beyond belief.

I think I'm going to buy it though. Thought I'd be paying $150 for this thing, boy was I wrong!

5. Niteace macrumors member

Perhaps this is a stupid question? Why do you want a 2 over a 3?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So they can jailbreak. I have an ATV 2 which isn't jail broken. I might see how much they go up by and then sell it.