Should I really buy Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by achie25, Jul 17, 2009.

1. achie25 macrumors 6502

Looking to replace my Powerbook G4 with a new MBP. Should I get Applecare or maybe just throw it on my homeowners insurance?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would. I think insurance doesn't help if your Mac has hardware problems. Remember that you have full year to buy it, no need to rush

3. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't realize I could wait to buy it. Probably will do it later

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah I would buy it, but I'm waiting to buy until right before my 1yr warranty runs out.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, most people waits till 1 year warranty is close to end and then buys it. I'm buying one for my iMac as well but not yet, I still have 9 months of warranty left

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Stick it under both AppleCare and insurance. AppleCare allows for repairs at an Apple store whereas insurance can protect from accidental damage.

7. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

I would just buy with a credit card that extends the manufacturer warranty an extra year (Amex, Visa, Mastercard). To me, having a 3rd year of coverage isn't worth an extra $250 or whatever Apple charges. Granted, you might get ~$75-100 of that back if you sell the laptop while it still has AC coverage.

8. guklein macrumors 6502a

How can you get this extra year? Just buying with credit card? AppleStore accepts it?

9. jeffwingo macrumors newbie

jeffwingo

I always buy AppleCare...it has paid for itself.

I would never buy a laptop without AppleCare. Too many things go wrong especially in the later years. It would be a toss-up on an imac, since those tend to stay in one place. My family owns many laptops and I am so glad I put Apple Care on them.

10. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

The $150 for AC is worth the peace of mind (for me anyway).

It's a win win either way. If you don't use it, great! If you do use it, great, you prob will save money.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If you need to replace a logic board or an LCD panel (I did so twice on my current iMac) it will pay for itself many times over.

If you don't have cause to use the coverage within the 3 years then it is absolutely down to the peace of mind you had knowing you were covered just in case something DID go wrong. For me as well it is worth it for this alone. Macs are not easily serviceable and the parts are expensive.

Another factor is that if you decide to sell your Mac for some reason during the AppleCare coverage period it increases your resale value.

12. JBazz macrumors 6502

As someone posted earlier, it needs both the Apple Care and to be on your homeowners insurance. Home owners will fix it if you damage it or it is stolen. Apple Care will fix it if it breaks.

Also, buy your Apple Care thru ebay or Amazon.com. You can get it much cheaper.

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

You probably won't find too many people that would say not to buy apple care, and thats because it really is a good idea. There are tons of threads with different variations on the apple care question. I would guess that all of them say buy apple care.

14. EmielS macrumors member

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Definitely get it. I made the mistake of not getting it for my Macbook and I started running into problems a couple of months out of warranty. Next time I learn.

16. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

if you r planning on using it for more than 1 year, then i would suggest getting it.

17. reubs macrumors 68000

Just to pile on a bit here, I think Apple Care is an essential purchase. If I had Apple Care, I'd have a brand new bottom case and a brand new ODD to go with the top case Apple replaced earlier. Also, I wouldn't have had to drive three hours to an Apple store to get it fixed b/c I could have spoken to someone on the phone and simply shipped it in to be fixed.

While most financial pundits say extended warranties are a waste of money, I think Apple Care is essential because of the cost of repairs, the difficulty in getting repairs done, and the peace of mind that comes with three years of coverage.

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Apple Care is the exception to that rule that extended warranties are a waste of money.

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I bought AppleCare when I ordered my iMac and received a discount for being a student. I haven't had to use it yet but the peace of mind is nice, especially since I am using my iMac 12 hours a day. Definitely buy it, it doesn't matter when as long as it is in your first year just don't forget or you will be sorry.

20. OceanView macrumors 65816

$150? where?
    Hope it's not eBay cause I've heard some bad things.

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

That depends. Which Mac are you referring to? L.A. Computer has the best prices I've seen outside of eBay auctions.

22. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

since most companies don't back their product anymore, extended warranties are a nasty must.

23. jroller macrumors regular

No question. Worth every penny in my experience.

24. lakshwadeep macrumors newbie

absolutely! On my mid-2007 MBP, I had a display problem and frayed magsafe cord that were fixed barely before the 1 year deadline in 2008. Somehow my cost-cutting mind didn't think that any more problems would happen, and I passed the year mark without applecare. Now, I have a similar display problem, and any option I take (repairing or even getting another laptop) will likely cost more than buying applecare.

25. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Most major credit card companies will double the original manufacturer's warranty (for a total coverage of up to 4 years max). I don't keep laptops all that long...so I am a strong believer in just purchasing with a major credit card and riding with the two years of coverage.

Also note, if you do still want AppleCare, purchase it at the same time as the laptop with a major credit card and you'll get 4 years of coverage.

* I can only confirm this is true with AmEx as that is what I have...but have been told visa and mc are the same. Check with your card provider for details.