Should I Really Get An MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lisalover1, Jul 29, 2011.

1. lisalover1 macrumors newbie

I am going to college soon, and I will be getting the laptop of my choice as a gift for school. I have narrowed my search for a new machine down to a MBP 15" and a high-end MSI laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152266

I was wondering if I could get some help in deciding. I want my new laptop to be a capable gaming machine, so some powerful specs are a must. On one hand, the MBP has supposedly excellent build quality and longevity, and a multitouch trackpad, as well as the obvious benefit of having OS X pre-installed. (I will be triple-booting the MBP with Linux and Windows if I do decide on it, though, so OS X is more of a bonus feature). However, the MSI laptop has much more raw power (12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, etc.), and is several hundred dollars cheaper, even with the student discount. But, I am wary of the build quality of an MSI laptop; it may not last me as long. It is also a much bulkier laptop, but it has all the specs I want. A comparable MBP is not even available without after-market user upgrades, and would cost close to $1,000 more.

So, what should I get? Does the hardware quality of an MBP and usability of OS X justify the high price tag?

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

A MacBook Pro is not a gaming machine. If this is your primary concern, then you would be better suited with something else.

However, if this is a machine for college, perhaps gaming should not be your primary concern.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

If your main concern is gaming, do not get a MacBook Pro.

There are better options that the MSI that are closer to the price of a MacBook Pro and will likely offer more comparable build-quality.

4. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Although not touted as a gaming machine.... MBPs are still quite capable playing games!

I routinely play MMORPG's on my 13" 2009 MBP with no issues at all. Graphics rendering etc are all fine!

Having said that, gaming is probably what I do least on this. Graphics / web design / photo editing being at the top with surfing (and bringing to starbucks) being next LOL.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ur going to college to get n education, not to play games all day LOL

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Every last penny.

But for your "needs," no.

7. waterman460000 macrumors newbie

8. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I play BC2 on all high settings and still hit up 60fps. My friends can get 40-50fps on very high in Crysis 2. If you ever wanted to try out OS X, then an MBP would be great for you.

And guys....he doesn't have to be studying and learning 24/7 while at college. There's some downtime too :D

9. WordLife565 macrumors regular

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yes, the MacBook Pro can run games, but nowhere near as well as Windows machines that cost half the price.

I did more, umm, interesting things in my downtime while in college. But to each their own. ;)

11. kanit macrumors member

wat is more interesting than gaming?? :p
    Anyway, OP if gaming is a concern buy the MSi or a Sager, they are better quality than the MBP and much better performing but you loose stuff like portability and build quality

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

"Social Networking" was a bit different back then... :)

13. smali macrumors regular

Damn when I was at Uni it was work all day then get ****ed up hardcore almost every night. Couldn't do it now but was hilariously good fun for the 3-4 years.

Really sad some people waste it playing video-games...this is coming from an avid gamer.

14. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately now I am much matured from my college days, but it seems my schedule was quite similar. Class if necessary, party hard every other minute, work through the University and golf whenever possible. :D