Should I refuse the delivery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iluvifone, Jan 7, 2012.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I ordered my macbook from apple.ca a few days ago, and according to the UPS tracking, it is due to arrive Monday.

I googled for a bit, and read a few horror stories of UPS charging tax fee's at the door, before allowing you to sign and receive your package.

If they do decide to pull that stunt on me, i'm not willing to pay anything since i've already paid 1300 + 150 or so taxes to apple.

I'll simply ask them to return it to the sender, then demand a refund from apple, and just go and purchase it from the apple store.

What are the odds of that happening?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

What state? Never heard of UPS charging anything.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I assume you're in Canada based on the URL to the Apple Store that you cited.

I have no idea what the policies and laws are in Canada, but if they do charge you tax at the door, you refuse it and go to the local Apple store, you're likely to pay the same tax buying it in person. Apple charges tax nearly everywhere, online or in person.

4. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

the "state" of ontario

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's in Canada.

If they are going to charge you some tax or fee that you wouldn't normally be charged, I'd refuse delivery then.

6. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I was already charged the 13% sales tax on my online order.. But what I was referring to, was if UPS tried to tax me a separate UPS-tax for their service, or some customs bull, or whatnot..

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you ever received something from UPS before and did they charge you a UPS-tax? Whatever that answer is, should be the precedent for your Mac delivery.

You can also go online to their website or call them and ask before it is delivered.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

They won't. Stop worrying right away. You bought an item in your own country, in a company established in your country. Even if the package is coming from china or wherever else, the import duties are already included in the price of the machine, UPS will not charge you a dime.

If you bought from a private seller or a company that has no offices in your country, that's another story.

EDIT: UPS does stupidly overcharge with their import duties and brokerage charge, but that only occurs when you buy from out of the country, and that the package also comes from out of the country.

A package that stays in Canada will not be charged anything, same goes for a package coming from Apple, even if it comes from china, said import duties are already included in the price of the machine and Apple has a distribution deal with both UPS and FedEx.

9. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

This is my first experience with UPS. Fedex tried to tax me back in 2009 on a Blu-Ray player I ordered from Best buy, and I refused delivery.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The you'll have to pay it or refuse delivery. :confused:

Didn't apple.ca inform you of any extraneous surcharge? Not sure how you canucks operate but here in the U.S. these things must be disclosed at the time of purchase. (Or at last warned about).

Sound's like it's a brokers fee. I'm not sure if this is imposed by UPS themselves or your government though.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

In Canuckistan UPS is just about the worst carrier out there regarding import duties. I've been charged upwards of $100 for a car exhaust that was coming from the state of New York, the value of the exhaust itself was only $400.

But with large companies such as Apple, no such thing can nor will occur, they have a deal with a few shipping companies. Same goes for a package coming from within Canada, no charge there either. My MBP was delivered by FedEx 4 years ago and everything was paid for at the time of purchase, I only had to sign at the bottom and leave with my Mac.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why don't you pick up the phone and ask your local UPS?

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good point. Just call the UPS CS and ask them as they would know. AFAIK, a lot of people here are in the US and wouldn't know much about Canada's laws and policy.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What "stunt?" If you owe taxes, you owe taxes. End of story. If they are providing you documentation of the tax and if you are knowledgable enough with your countries tax law, then they can collect that tax.

15. emac82 macrumors 6502

I live in New Brunswick, and have ordered various things from apple.ca (including a MB in 2009), and UPS has delivered and I've never had to pay them anything...So don't worry, you will be fine.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well, there we have it then. Thread closed. :)

17. o.neill.kid macrumors member

My Macbook Pro is slated to come on Monday as well, I also live in Ontario, Canada. I have only had to pay UPS (tax, charge, fee whatever you want to call it once) that was because my item was from Dubai and was really large and was held up in customs for over a week. I don't think yourself or I have to worry about getting this fee. If you do, just show them your invoice and state you have already been taxed and that delivery was free (If he does ask for money, like others have said, deny him it and go straight to Apple.)

18. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

For Ontario there is only HST which is 13% and was paid in full when the OP purchased his laptop online. UPS is entitled to collect nothing, as their fees were done through Apple.

OP - You'll just have to sign and go, they won't be charging you any fees, since there was no cross border stuff going on (They do nail the hell out of you though for international parcels you get).

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Absolutely, I am not saying the OP owes taxes (it has been well established that the OP does not and should not worry). My issue was with calling it a "stunt."

As has been noted, they are going to get you for other international parcels which from what I understand is legitimate.

20. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Legitimate yes, but that's why I avoid UPS, they charge fees that are well in excess of any other shipper such as FedEx etc. I've had to pay "holding fees" that were $75 for a package that was held in customs at the border for 2 days due to a simple backlog (It wasn't suspect). Ended up getting the money back though because I ripped the phone rep a new backside and let them know the hold up was their problem, not mine as it wasn't an item which would cause a shipping issue.

21. Bluedog54 macrumors member

Have to pay for that free health care some how.

22. chillfrilla macrumors member

quiting whining and enjoy ur macbook pro

i ordeed mine custom came directly from china

you already paid the taxes when u ordered

u dont get charged

yeesh

23. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you paid the taxes directly to Apple when you bought the computer. I'm in Canada as well and I've received two laptops from Apple, never had to pay anything. Just a "sign here please sir".

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If u have paid import tax then yes! If not then just pay up

25. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

Ups only charges taxes upon delivery when the good is imported

Let's say i live in Europe and i buy stuff in the US, i won't pay taxes in the Us but UPS would collect for Europe
    Otherwise, for Apple no matter if the mac comes from China (built to order) or from your country stock, everything is included in the price already

So you don't need to worry

Same for horrible ups stories, one stupid employee does make all of them

It could happen with Canadian post, or fedex, or purolator or whatever