Should I reinstall my snowleopard discs??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesaint33, Dec 31, 2011.

1. thesaint33 macrumors newbie

Would it be a good or bad idea to try to reinstall my snowleopard operating system? I have been having problems with downloading programs, even firefox, I can't download! Will i lose my files? apps? and other stuff? how big a deal is it to reinstall so my mac will run better? I have everything backed up too... I just dont want to lose most of my files, pictures programs like CS5 and stuff.:apple:

2. orvn, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

orvn macrumors 6502

If it's only Firefox that's the problem try to create a new Firefox profile and see how it functions.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Managing-profiles#w_starting-the-profile-manager

An entire reinstall would require that you don't use Time Machine so that you don't copy the problem applications.. so you'd need to compartmentalize and individually back up all of your data to an external source (which will take a while). Don't forget to copy some of the preferences and stuff in your library folder if you have specific stuff that can't possibly be the problem.

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yea, reinstalling the hard drive would be a nightmare. definitely go with the firefox reinstall first.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had troubles with Firefox once and resolved it by creating a new profile. Mozilla provides instructions as noted by previous poster's link.

Once I created new profile I just re-imported bookmarks and all was well.