Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwr38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
Ever since I updated to Snow Leapord on my mac book pro the computer has started to lag badly. I have used onyx to see if that could fix anything but still running slow. Since I used to be a windows user I am used to just trashing everything and doing a fresh install. I have no idea if this is the best option for a mac.

Before I think about reinstalling I would like to know how I can check what could be slowing my computer down. I only have a basic knowledge of macs so any advice where I should look would be great. (I am a power user of PC but got annoyed of it just not working)

If I do a reinstall what is the best way of going about it? Are there good methods so I don't lose all my programs and their product keys and some of their settings. i.e little snitch.

I am just looking for any methods that I should follow before and during reinstalling. Thanks all.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I recommend that you format and do a clean install, but that's just me. That's what I've always done when a new version of OS X comes out and I've never had any issues. In fact, I've done that for any OS, be it mac, windows or linux. "Upgrades" just never sees to work out right. The best way to do the reinstall is to be prepared. Backup all your personal files, bookmarks, pictures, etc. Once you think you have everything, go through and check once more and then once you think you've got everything, go through and check a third time. As far as your program keys, either write them down or make up a text file and get them all in advance. You'll have to reinstall them all by hand, but believe me, it's worth it to have a fresh, clean system. It doesn't take as long as you think. I use a ton of programs and it takes me maybe an hour to install them all and get them setup correctly. Good luck.

jwr38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
thanks guys. I am off to do that today. I used time machine to do the backup. That will have all my folders etc in right? :)

multimania

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Just a thought, I notice the same thing with my SL, I have also reinstalled from scratch and no change. I'm positive there are "issues" with SL which i'm hoping will be resolved on 10.6.3 My rig hasn't been the same since SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.