Should I reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ruske Frost, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Ruske Frost macrumors newbie

So, I'm wanting to clean things up on my Macbook early 2008, and I'm wondering if a re-install would be necessary, or if there are other options I have to clean things up easily.

If I were to reinstall, I would be doing so from a Snow Leopard USB drive, and I would also have other important files copied onto an external that I have.

I'm also wondering if reinstalling would mess up anything on my iPhone, as it is synced to my iTunes.

If you think it would be easier to just take an hour or two and go through some unnecessary files than to copy some stuff and do a re-install, let me know :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I recently upgraded to a Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200 RPM/4 GB SSD "Hybrid" HDD and 4 gig of ram in my early 2008 (Penryn) White Macbook. Perhaps there is something I did that might help you decide...

Option One - Archive and Install:
    1 - Pop in and boot from your SL DVD (or whatever) and pick "archive and install."
    2 - Allow Software update to download and install the latest combo update.
    3 - Done. Everything comes back including the finder folders you had open.

Option Two - Wipe and Install:
    Before you begin, make sure your only copy of your data doesn't sit in Apple folders/packages like iPhoto Library, iTunes and Mail.app. I have lost data in 2 of these three and was lucky I had backups.

Normally, I simply do an archive and install. It's all I've ever needed. More recently, I wound up doing a fresh install because I upgraded my hard drive. I did the following:
    1 - Make a Time Machine backup on a local firewire disk (faster)
    2 - pop in the new hard drive (in your case you can skip this)
    3 - pop in and boot from your Snow Leopard DVD (or whatever)
    4 - Launch disk utility from the SL dvd. Format the disk as HFS+ Journaled (I saw instructions on the net that said something about a guid option. I ignored this so it must have been the default).
    5 - Install OS X
    6 - When prompted - pick migrate from Time Machine backup
    7 - Allow software update to install the latest combo update
    8 - Mail.app might get lost and confused after a TM restore so you might have to delete its plist files and mailboxes and start over
    9 - TM might become "confused" if you try to back up to the same TM backup you just used to restore. I decided to simply rename it and start a new one so I could always "fall back" to the state of things when I replaced my HDD. In another week or two, I'll simply delete it.

In all honesty, there is a third option which is Wipe and Install without using a TM backup to restore. This is what Windows users have to contend with and I don't think it's worth bothering with.

3. Ruske Frost thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly does the "Archive and Install" option do for me? I'm mainly looking for a freshness to the computer, as it is getting up there in age and starting to feel almost sluggish - which of course probably isn't true because it's a mac and not a windows, but nevertheless, I'd like to do some late spring-cleaning so to speak.

It occured to me that I might not really need to do a wipe, but just a cleaning. My first step was taking windows off. But let me know what the Archive and Install option does for me, because it sounds like I might want to try that.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not sure why you said it might get confused. Did you use the info in the "Mac OS X v10.6: How to transfer your backups from your current hard drive to a new hard drive” step of this KB:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427