Should I Remove My Screen Sheild?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachcheatham, Nov 22, 2010.

1. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

On my iPhone 4, I have a power support crystal shield that I've had for about four months. Recently, (today) I let the stupid button, that sits over the pocket of my jeans, scratch a nice line down the screen protector. It looks like a rainbow on my screen.

The shield looks very beat up. More beat up than any of my iphones have looked without the screen protector and none of my iphones have actually gotten a scratch (except for my 4, before I put on the shield).

My question is should I take the shield off? And I don't really want to go through the hassle of putting a new one back on. I'll go naked!

Do you use a screen shield? Should I worry if I get a small hairline scratch like the one I already have? Ugh, I wish this phone wouldn't cause me OCD...

2. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Get rid of that bitch and do like me. Get a leather case that covers the entire phone.

[​IMG]

3. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

Think what that scratch would look like on the screen instead of the shield.

4. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Ya but the only reason it got there is because I haven't been baby-ing it as much since I knew the shield is there.

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I never had a scratch on my 3GS but just two months after getting my iPhone 4 I had several scratches on the front and back. Just replaced it for another issue, and it's staying in a case until my powersupport shields come in the mail.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you're gonna go all Sophie's Choice on us then yeah, it'll be a hard choice.

Still, I'm gonna go with the scratch.

7. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

no thanks

8. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Then get another shield.

Mine is doing great. Not 1 scratch.

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Try a different protector, I would highly recommend the power support anti glare.

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

I like it too. I know people are all like "OMG teh anti-glare RUINS the retina display!!"

I think it looks fine. It does add a minimal amount of graineyness but it still looks incredible.

11. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Hmmm... I still have another crystal shield left over but I still can't decide if I should take this off now. And then should I leave it off or put a new one on.

12. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

You ARE being a bit OCD about it, especially if you have another shield left. Just replace it so the scratch doesn't bother you anymore.

13. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I hate screen protectors. Take it off and use it without one.

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if you go naked or with a bumper like me...your fingerprint reduction coating or whatever it's called will wear off rather quickly...I can't keep finger prints off this thing now

15. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 lock this damn thread

shields are SUPPOSE to be replaced when they get damaged, that's the whole point

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Exactly.

17. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Gahh that thing looks bulky, Aj Farnlang! It is thick to put in your pocket? Why did you opt for this and not a Sena sleeve? Same function.

18. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

care to take on a challenge.. I assume you have an anti-glare already on

1) go to the iPhone 4 wallpaper thread and download 10-20 960x 640 pictures ( native retina display resolution = 1:1 ) Try to find ones that are very colorful or have a nice range of colors, details
    2) Turn up your brightness up to 100%
    3) Browse the pictures, notice the detail and how solid colors look

Now Take off your matte screen protector and browse the pictures with a completely naked phone

I guarantee you, you will notice a big increase in resolution, no more grain and increased color saturation

If you do not see a difference (basically why we say matte shield ruin the retina display) please send me a message/post your paypal address here and I will send you $8 for the cost of the shield ( you can reapply it if you want)

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

20. akravikanth macrumors newbie

CAPDASE !!!

I have the same one, but in white... You can see who's calling without taking the phone out of the case. I love this, perfect fit, and pull the strap up to get the phone out of case. But do the small magnet in the strap affect the phone by any means?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I don't have a screen shield on my Ip4 and it still looks pretty great. Then again, I do kind of baby it :)

22. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I just got my iPhone 4 off a friend who has had it naked since launch and it only has a couple teeny scratches that can only be seen at a certain angle, so they really don't bother me. and I'm quite OCD with my products lol.

I love my iPhone 4 <3

23. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Try giving it a really good cleaning. The oleophobic coating should not wear off that quickly. I never had any trouble in a year with my 3GS and the 5 months with my 4.

I do agree with you on going naked (screen at least, I use my free Bumper). I would never dare to ruin the look and more importantly feel of my gorgeous display with some piece of sticky, rough, blurry plastic. Its like comparing the trackpads of a MacBook to a PC. After almost 1.5 years of iPhone ownership, I can proudly proclaim I am scratch free!

24. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

The coating is supposed to last *years*, unless, differently from what is suggested by Apple, you use chemical products to clean the front glass.

25. Ollie N macrumors regular

Ollie N