Should I replace my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBP*, Jun 23, 2014.

1. MBP* macrumors member

I have a 2009 MBP which is in a pretty good condition. I've just upgraded it to Mavericks.

Now, the issue that remains, along with the possibility of upgrading the 4GB RAM, is the battery which only lasts about 2 hours (according to the calculator).

I would like a genuine battery - can't be trusting any Chinese replacements here.

The thing is would it be worth upgrading to get a larger capacity? Battery life is important for me, but I don't know what the original battery capacity was to know if it'd be an improvement worth going for?

*Also how do I know what model of battery I need?

2. rapicell macrumors regular

I think 2009 was about 7 hours of battery life (perfection conditions) or in reality probably about 4-5 hours of "light" use. A new battery would most likely be worth it if you plan to keep the macbook for a another year or two. But if plan to upgrade within the next year, I wouldn't bother to get a newer battery.

3. MBP* thread starter macrumors member

4 or 5 hours is a significant upgrade compared to the 1.5 hours I'm getting now. I don't really want to have to lug my adapter everywhere.

I've inherited this laptop, and have considered selling it on to upgrade. But I think even if I was to upgrade in the coming year, the added battery would be an excuse to bump up the price as most models probably would have a similar state battery to mine currently. Either way, I'd benefit.

But how do I find out what model of battery I need?

4. rapicell macrumors regular

I think if you go on ifixit you could probably look up the battery from a model number search

5. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I think it depends on the cost of the battery. While it may make your computer more desirable if someone were to purchase it, it probably wont bump the price up too much, or the buyer could get a newer model.