Should I replace my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvincty, Mar 25, 2016.

1. calvincty macrumors member

calvincty

I have a cMBP 13" mid 2012, 470 cycles count and max capacity drop to 65% from design capacity.

On battery power can only last from 1.5 to 2 hours on normal usage, Safari with about 6 tabs (no flash) and spotify streaming, the battery drain quite fast.

Battery status shown Service battery but try few times of deplete battery it's the same still.

If now is the time to replace I would just order from eBay or local seller, could be OEM. Order from ifixit or OWC the shipping can cost me a bomb to my country.

I'm in the urge of upgrading existing 120GB OWC Ssd to 250Gb Samsung Evo 850. But not sure should I go first, battery or SSD?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Battery or can you afford a whole new machine if the battery swells?

As for where to buy that's up to you but I would always say oem

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Try to get a genuine Apple battery if you can.
    Worth paying more for.

To save money, do the replacement yourself.
    Easy with the RIGHT TOOLS.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Question for you please. If you replace it yourself does it rattle around because it's not glued down?

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

It's secured with tri-wing screws. However, you can you a flathead screwdriver - but be very gentle.

7. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Battery. Without sufficient juice, no matter your SSD, you won't be able to use it.

8. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

Is the battery from ifixit or OWC reliable? I have few cheaper option (half price) from local sellers (which I'm not sure where they source the battery form). Just want to make sure if I make order from ifixit or OWC the battery can last me for at least 2 years more (with battery usage 3 hours or more per full charge)

9. Jozone macrumors 6502

Is the current battery Apple? That sounds like some pretty terrible performance from an Apple battery with that cycle count.

10. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

Yeah it's ori, I just awared that the design capacity drop to below 80% after my ACPP expired for about 1 month so I can't manage to claim it. Now I have to struggling for the battery life and thinking where to source a reliable battery from third party.

11. Jozone macrumors 6502

I gotcha. Speaking from a recent experience replacing a Mid 2010 battery recently (which as a non-OEM replacement expanded in the middle of a flight), I would highly encourage you to source from a real AASP, and not buy a generic. Buy cheap, buy twice.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I don't like to jump in a thread with my own question but since its in line with this one I will ask. I have inherited a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro that I feel uses battery a bit fast. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the normal battery life. System info says battery cycle is only 8 and power is 5145. I assume based on the numbers I have a good battery. Thing is I didn't know to check first and already ordered a replacement battery.

Would you guys run the installed 7 year old battery until it says swap it or just go ahead and swap it out? The battery I ordered is genuine Apple. If I wasted my time ordering a replacement maybe I could sell the new battery on. You guys tell me.

OP, hope its OK I ask here.

13. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

Just get reply from local apple reseller store, battery itself cost $155 excluded Labour charge. Blood sucking.....

14. Jozone macrumors 6502

Thats honestly not as bad as it could be (the battery is $129USD) -- although in the US, the labor would be free.. visiting anytime soon? ;)

15. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Ouch, that is rough. It's $129 installed here in the US.
    I still think you should go with a genuine Apple battery.

16. calvincty thread starter macrumors member

calvincty

They don't allow to purchase the battery individually, the cost now is $180. Really rough for a 4 years old machine.

17. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I had a 2008 with about 500 cycles on it and it still have 80% battery health. I didn't really need to run it on battery power and it wasn't causing issues so I didn't bother replacing it. They should be good for 1000 cycles.

The reason your battery is 8 cycles is that the previous owner may have kept it plugged in constantly or they replaced the battery.

Download Coconut Battery and see what it says.

18. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Thanks. They did keep it on power all the time. Wish I would have read this prior to placing an order for a battery. Assumed it would need to be replaced based on age but now I know.

19. Queen6, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Problem is Malaysia only has authorised resellers, no actual Apple Store, you may be able to send the MacBook to Apple, equally the post and hassle factor will likely be more. Best way to look at it, is that you will get another 4 years use out of the notebook. One other option is to remove the battery, equally performance will suffer and most obviously use on the go.

If you buy a battery from a third party it will be cheaper, equally chances are the batteries longevity will not be the same as Apple`s own, which may not matter depending nohow long you plan to keep the notebook. Another aspect is the MacBook will retain more value if the battery is serviced by Apple, the DIY approach may devalue it.

Q-6