Should I replace my broken iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seanhess, May 30, 2009.

1. seanhess macrumors newbie

So, my iphone fell off a rollercoaster. Amazingly, it ALMOST survived. The mic is broken so people can't hear me talk :)

Given that it seems very likely new iphones will be announced at WWDC, is it worth paying 200-250 to get it replaced at the apple store? Will the new phones even be available right away?

I figure I can sell the replacement for about 200-250 after I upgrade anyway. Any advice? I suppose I could wait another week or so until WWDC, but I'm really sick of texting on my wife's old RAZR.

Thanks
    ~sean

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

No it won't be available at the same time WWDC happens - probably a month after.

3. moviebrain macrumors member

Buy the $29 apple earbuds with the mic or a $10 pair of knock-offs to limp along until either a newer iphone model is announced/released or borrow an old phone from a friend. Unless of course you want to spend the $199 to have a refurb phone that may or may not be in demand when a new model is released.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No one knows when it will be released. Just tough it up for a few weeks, and wait until after the WWDC to make your decision about the iPhone. Don't get one now, that would be foolish.

5. seanhess thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, ok, you're right. Thanks for the idea with the headset. It landed on the headphone corner, so I didn't think there was any way it would still work. It does! So, yeah, I can get by using the headset for a little longer.

Thanks for the help

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmm... How Far..??

Given the Fact that it "does appear to sort of work", How Far did it fall..?? :confused: Can you document the Event.. What/Where/When/How..?? I would guess Apple may even be "friendly" in a P.R. kinda way if it was a Dramatic Toss and Bounce and it STILL works.. I would if I was them...

Perhaps an email to APPLE with a Basic Event Scenario story and a Quest for Replacement... I think it is possible they may help you out if it was not a 10 foot drop... :rolleyes:

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

What about a bluetooth headset. You'd look a bit stupid, but it is better than headphones, and the ring will stil come through the phone's speakers. Unlike with headhpones.

8. seanhess thread starter macrumors newbie

Several people have suggested this, actually. It fell off the peak of the rollercoaster, and the website says it's 110 feet tall, so given a little vertical inertia, I'd say about 120 feet onto either gravel or cement.

Who would you recommend sending the story to? My local apple store? An apple support email?

Do you have one you'd recommend? I tried the new jawbone, but I had a really hard time hearing people and the sound was all choppy. It was pretty depressing for a $100+ headset.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

im pretty sure he was being sarcastic

why do you think apple would help you because your phone fell from an even higher height

a dropped broken phone is a dropped broken phone :rolleyes: