Should I Replace My MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reservation, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Reservation, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Reservation macrumors member

I'm really concerned about the battery life of my Macbook Pro. I've had it for just over a month and iStat pro already says its health is at 97%. I've just charged it today and it went down from 100% to 95% in five minutes. In fifteen minutes it was down to 92%. On average, I've charged it everyday since I got it. So now it's gone through 36 cycles. It always loses battery life when I wake it up from sleep. I've never been able to use it for more than 5 hours.

Yesterday, I brought it to take notes at Uni. In a span of 2 hours and 30 minutes the battery was depleted to 48%. I had only been using the note-taking program Journler and maybe 15 minutes of internet use in all.

Is there something wrong and should I replace it? I've checked other forums and most have seen a drastic improvement in their battery life 2 or 3 weeks after they got it. Mine, however, doesn't seem to be improving.

P.S. sorry if it sounds like I'm having a nervous breakdown. I just want to make my situation as clear as possible.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

battery health fluctuates; it being at 97% is very normal and very likely could have shipped at 97%, as there are variances in batteries. mine is 17 months old, and istat menu(and coconut battery) rate my battery at 86%, a few months ago it was at 84%, before that 89%, i checked maybe last month and it was 90%.

as far as it lasting 5 hours, first remember that it's "up to 7 hours," assuming you have a '11 since it's less than a month old, with what you're doing 5 hours doesn't sound unreasonable.

3. Reservation thread starter macrumors member

Actually, when I got my MBP it was at 100%. It has since depleted to 97% in the last 35 days. And yes, I have the early 2011 MBP.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

nothing to worry about, it will take a little to settle down then will, in my experience, fluctuate a little but stay around the same level from then on out.(obviously with a slow decline as it ages)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine came at 96% and then it dropped to 89% after a month or so, and hovered between 85%-90% for 4-5 months and now it's up to 97%. I've had mine since February, so yeah it changes.

All I know if Apple will replace my battery if it drops below 80% and I was actually looking forward to that. When my battery health rose I was disappointed for a bit.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Nothing's wrong. W

Have you done the math in terms of (only 15 minutes) or so and determined how long it would last under those conditions?

You should also know that you aren't going to get 6+ hours if you're watching video, the brightness is all the way up, or doing flash content or media oriented stuffs.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, there's nothing wrong with your MBP or your battery. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: