Should i replace my MPB battery? At 1500+ cycles now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackd2, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jackd2 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. well ive had my MBP for about 3 years now and is the mid 2010 model. So i was just wondering as Apple say to change the battery after 1000 load cycles. mine currently sits at 1508 and the battery health stands at 85%.

do you guys reckon its time to change the battery or should i stick with the one i have for now until its depleted?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First of all, there's no way you've had that computer for more than 2.67 years. It was released in April 2010. I'm doubting it's more than 2.5 years old.. I guess you could consider that to be close to 3 years. I don't, but maybe I'm just stuck in the past.

If your battery doesn't seem to hold much of a charge, go ahead and replace it. If it seems fine, there's nothing detrimental about running a Li Ion battery until it can't hold a charge.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

"about 3" is 2.67 rounded up

and yes, if it still holds enough charge, don't bother replacing...

4. jackd2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry guys. Meant to say its the mid 2009 model :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the battery still holds enough charge to meet your needs, there is no reason to change it.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Thats awesome - lets see a screenshot of the cycle count - highest I have heard of

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree with the other posters. If your battery still holds a charge and doesn't randomly die before it hits 0%, keep using it.