Should I replace refub 3G with free new 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamdumpster, Sep 16, 2008.

?

Should I replace refurb 3G with new, free 3G

1. Yes, who wouldn't want a brand-new phone for free?

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No, you have a 3G that works great, why play with fire?

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

When the apple store replaced my 3G with a refurb a couple of weeks ago, they told me that the refurbs are actually *better* than new devices, b/c the refurbs are individually checked, wiped, and uploaded with the newest software. Well, the refurb I got, had 2.01 (2.02 had been out for at least a week at that point) and someone else's itunes account associated with it.

When I got an email email from apple asking me to complete a survey on my experience at the apple store, I stated that the employees and service were great, but that I was disappointed that something had broken down with the refurb process.

Yesterday, the manager of the apple store called me, apologized, and offered to swap out my current phone for a brand-new, in box, iPhone. Should I do it? My current phone works well and gets pretty good battery life. On the other hand, the allure of a new phone is hard to pass up, especially since you know they're continuously tweaking the production process and testing.

What should I do?

2. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

Take it, absolutely - upgrade it to 2.1 and you'll be flying.

3. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the thing -- I'm already on 2.1 and I'm already flying. Could a brand-new phone be better? Of course. But it also could be worse. That's what I'm worried about.

4. Maxington macrumors 6502

Bah. If the one you have works keep it.

If you haven't noticed a difference yet, than you won't. Probably more of a hassle anyway. IMO.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

6. phaggard macrumors regular

If your refurb is perfect and is covered by warranty as a new one, why swap? To actually take the chance to get problems?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you are happy with your current phone, I say keep it.

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

No way in hell would I exchange a flawless iPhone for a new one considering all the issues the new one could have.

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others. Better to dance with the devil you know than the one you don't.

10. CADACUSER macrumors newbie

What About The 5K Serial Number? Ohhhh

My only concern would be (who cares new or refurbished) that the serial number on refurbished phones begins with 5K. So, if and when you want to sell it (eBay, wherever) someone MIGHT say "hey thats a refurbished phone"?? But then again... maybe not?

This would be my only concern! So, based on that... I would take the new phone!

What Apple store did you buy your phone at???

Thanks,
    Carl D.