Should I replace the battery in a used iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unr1, Sep 15, 2010.

1. unr1 macrumors regular

I recently purchased a used iPhone 3GS on fleabay.

There are several people in my area who offer iPhone repair services. Battery replacement with install is ~35 bucks

It's noteworthy to mention I won't be able to replace the battery again for a year since the phone is going overseas. I'm just a bit paranoid about the battery not being able to hold charge from so much usage

edit: how does this replacement battery compare? http://www.zeetron.com/products/App...tery-for-Iphone-3GS-1600mah-10-Piece-Kit.html

2. unr1 thread starter macrumors regular

3. 0wnage macrumors member

I'm a battery paranoid maniac like you are. Because the 3GS battery is soldered, if you have any soldering experience, do it yourself, its so much cheaper. If you don't have as much experience, or are uncomfortable doing it, 35$ is not bad for the replacement / labor.

EDIT: That battery in the link doesn't look like a 3GS battery. First off, 3GS's dont have 1600mAh, and they don't have those snap in connectors.

EDIT 2: If you are going to purchase a battery, buy it from here: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-3GS-Replacement-Battery/IF142-005

4. unr1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. red0n macrumors member

You're wrong on so many levels.

iPhone 3GS batteries do not need soldering, and you CAN buy a 1600mAh if you want.

6. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I have replaced several 3G batteries and 3GS batteries. No soldering was required. I replaced all of them with 1600 mAh batteries as well.

7. ikaveh macrumors regular

and the outcome was a better battery life?
    if yes tell us where you bought these 1600 mAh batteries from.

8. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Why can't you use Apple's battery replacement service? I hear they give you back a new phone.