Should I replace this iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jimmybcool, Nov 5, 2015.

1. jimmybcool macrumors newbie

OK, I know I'm probably dealing with a group of enablers. It is MacRumors after all. But I am trying to decide if I should pull the plug and upgrade now or wait another cycle.

I am currently using an iMac (27 inch, Late 2009)
    Processor 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo

My reasons for possible change are this iMac is getting slower on all tasks and the HD is limiting my audio library. I am also finding the occasional evidence of some malware on it. Including one event where it popped open a window and then some machine called my home. Weird.

I can't remember how old this is but it doesn't seem like 6 years. Any opinions on how much longer it will support the latest programs and OS to help me decide other than the reality I want the new retina display.

2. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

I have that exact same computer and a few weeks ago upgraded to the top of the line BTO version.

Realize this is a multi THOUSAND dollar purchase. Do you NEED it for business? If not then I'd say you don't need it. I'm a pro photographer and need this for my job but honestly it's not THAT different.

Some things to do first. Replacing the internal harddrive is pretty easy, get a 3 tb hybrid drive off amazon for 100 bucks, get the proper cables so you can hook up to it externally via usb (15 bucks) and do a clean install of osx on it. Follow ifixit on how to swap out the hardrives, take the old one out, and your imac will be much better. Copy over only the essential files (audio, video, documents), do NOT do a time machine transfer cuz then you're moving over years of corruption problems, malware, ect.

Worst case scenario, you spent 115 bucks and a few hours of time for no change, you can return everything if you need to. You will continue to support new programs for a few more years, as they get newer they get bigger and put more strain on your system but I can freely flip back and forth between my new 5k fancy computer and my old imac and honestly it's not that different. Most of your troubles can be fixed with a 20 minute hard drive swap and a few hours of data transfer. ;)

3. jimmybcool thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I will look into it. BTW, once you have the OS on the eternal drive why remove the old one?

4. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Once you have the OS installed on the external:
    • copy what you want to it from the internal then remove the old drive and install new inside
    • remove the old drive and install the new, and plug the old one in as external and then copy your files

5. jimmybcool thread starter macrumors newbie

But don't I need TWO new drives to do this? One new internal and one external?

6. jimmybcool thread starter macrumors newbie

wait. I reread your original post. I understand even if I'm not 100% on the individual steps.

7. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Basically what I'm suggesting to do (as I've done it myself!) is get a new "internal" harddrive. Also buy the cables that allow you to have it sit outside your computer and hook up to it through the usb ports. Format it, install osx, copy over any media files you want to keep. Then follow the iFixit instructions on how to take out your old hardrive and put in that new one. Once it's in, if you did it right you should be able to fire up like normal and it'll be faster and wonderfully clean. You're in a way starting on a clean slate so any programs you have installed (open office, photoshop, steam, ect) you'll need to install again but that's pretty easy stuff. Keep that old harddrive in a drawer just in case you need it later.

Hope this makes more sense?