should i replace/upgrade the RAM on '08 MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xpaulinax, Sep 20, 2013.

1. xpaulinax macrumors member

I have a late 2008 macbook, which as of recently is showing the spinning beach ball constantly. doesn't matter what im doing. its being a lot slower than it used to be. i've really been having several issues with it, but im not sure what the problem is. ran AHT came up with nothing. but i think maybe because its slow it could be the RAM. im still running the 2GB that came with the computer.

i'll probably buy a new MB in the near future anyway, so idk if its worth putting money into this one (although id like to keep it around, im sentimental lol)

do you think it's the RAM thats causing my computer to freeze a lot and be slow?

thanks for any input.

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

If you only have 2gb of ram installed, then I'd definitely recommend upgrading it to a minimum of 4gb. Other things that may help to speed up your system would be to ensure you have enough hard drive capacity (at least 20% remaining), clean any dust out of the intake/ exhaust fans to keep the heat levels down, repair the permissions in disk utility if you haven't done already and reset the SMC. Word of warning, when replacing the ram, ensure you get the correct type at the right speed in mhz. if you get anything other than the recommended ram you will run into problems.