Should I restore based on these battery readings???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hydrocity, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Edit: Day 2 Stats are listed on post #17

Hey everybody. Let me start off by saying, if you have nothing good/helpful to say, just leave. You dont need to waste your time trying to flame.

Today was my first real day of school, and school is where I use my iPhone the most. Well today after school, my battery percentage is at 16%.

Here are the breakdowns:
    ----
    Usage: 3 Hours, 12 Min
    Standby: 9 Hours 1 min
    ----
    Approx. usage during 3 Hours, 12 Min:

2.0 Hours Playing Music *Screen OFF*
    0.5 Hours Playing Music while browsing Internet on 3G
    0.5 Hours spent Texting
    5 Min video over 3G
    ----
    Phone: iPhone 4
    iOS 4.0.1
    Jailbroken
    ----
    Jailbroken Apps installed:

MyWi (Not being used)
    SBSettings
    OpenSSH
    5 iCon Dock
    WinterBoard (Not being used)
    ----

I also have PUSH email on, but I dont know if that would affect this that much.

So is my battery good? Should I restore and get rid of the Jailbreak?

If I am missing any other info, just tell me and I will provide the info.

Thanks in advance!

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Your percentages are pretty below-average, even though it takes a few power cycles to fully get the most out of your battery.

As of the moment I have 5.5 hours of usage and 11.5 hours of standby, with 10% battery remaining. This includes a few minutes of HD recording, web surfing at full brightness, and listening to iPod music for about an hour.

Pushing emails is a very battery-intense way of using your iPhone, I suggest fetching every 15+ minutes.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you have good signal in the school? Hanging out in big, signal-blocking structures can really make the phone work hard at maintaining a connection.

I don't think you can answer this, by the way. I've been in places where the phone is clearly losing battery keeping that nice, pretty 4 bars of service. And I've been places where I get 2 bars but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

So I don't know that you can quickly KNOW this one way or the other. Telling me how many bars you get means very little. I'm just throwing it out as a possibility. I know, for example, that I get poor life in my basement at work and good life on the weekends. This is how I know it happens at my work and it's not the phone. It takes weeks to really learn that sort of info, though. No easy way to just check on something and know it.

Try to find other iPhone owners and ask if their battery life is worse at school, I guess? That'd be what I tried next if I were you.

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did change it to fetch every 15 min. I will see if I have an improvement.

I also forgot to say, I am on full brightness, auto adjusting ON.

Now that I think of it, when I was in school, everytime I looked at my phone, it would have 1-2 bars. I did read somewhere that when the phone goes into searching mode, it kills battery. My only thought now is maybe its searching while in standby. Can it even do that?

But when I actually used the phone for web browsing and video, I had good bars since I was not in the school.

Also, I dont know anybody who has the iPhone 4, just people with 3GS and 3G. So I dont think that would help =(

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not even about the searching. It may just be pumping out more radio power to keep those 2 bars all day.

Before you restore you should take notes on how the phone performs all week AND how it does over the weekend.

If you find that 'school = bad' and 'home = good' then I would not suggest formatting since it won't help!

Or maybe you'll find there's no difference and then you can dismiss my idea. It's worth being your first investigation, though. You should have a pretty good idea by Sunday night.

6. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I probably will do what you said. For today, I might drain the battery all the way and see if that helps.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Full brightness will suck your battery down faster than anything else I've seen. On full, I can literally watch my battery percentage go down 1% every few minutes even if the phone is otherwise doing nothing. Consider setting it at half and monitor at that level for a while--it's another thing that formatting (or unjailbreaking) isn't going to change.

As Small White Car said, this is something you're probably going to watch to watch over time. One day's use isn't enough data to go on.

8. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I will do. Thanks

9. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Seems pretty low... Id get about another 1hour usage by playing games,txting and browsing. With 3G always on and wifi searching/connected. Also I have push set for my email

Total I'd get like 4-5h usage, and standby of 1 day and 14hours...

I'd check to see if your openshh is actually turned off and not on.

10. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what I was thinking to. I have the SBSettings toggle on, but it doesnt show when I bring the SBSettings up. Anybody know why? Do I need to do something different?

11. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I am at 1 day and 1 hour with 68% remaining, pretty damn good if you ask me! With yours, it does seem pretty bad.

12. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Go download the actual toggle itself in cydia..

Because if you set it to ON under the Toggle Menu that just means to show the toggle itself.. But if you dont have the toggle it wont show..

13. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks I will do and hopefully it will work.

Also, I just realized that 4.1 might be released tom. I kind of want it for the gamecenter, but I dont know if I want to give up my jailbreak...

How long does a Jailbreak usually take to come out?

EDIT: Where do I go to get the SSH toggle. I searched a few things in Cydia, and nothing showed

14. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

No idea on the 4.1 jailbreak, could be a day or months.

I cant remember exactly, but i had it but i removed SSH.. And now i cant find it under cydia either anymore..

It was under the big boss repo.. OPENSSH Toggle or something like that.. Just weird that its gone from there now..

15. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

ToggleSSH thats what its called..

But if you installed Sbsettings and the OpenSSH package.. You should automatically get the Toggle in the package and all youd need to do is enable it in the Toggle Settings.

I recommend just reboot your phone, if its not there.. Remove OPENSSH, reboot and than install again. It should pop up.

16. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I remember I did have it when I first installed OpenSSH. But it disappeared from the dropdown menu a little while after. Ill try what you suggested.

17. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Day 2

Well this is my day 2 stats:

My battery is at 40% and here are the breakdowns:

Usage: 2 hours, 55 min
    Standby: 9 hours, 10 min
    ----
    2 Hours playing music *Screen OFF*
    10 Min playing bejeweled
    The rest was just texting

I am on fullbrightness, 3G and WiFi on, although I had no Wifi connection. PUSH email and OpenSSH are off.

Are my battery stats ok? I might restore and upgrade to 4.1 if they are not.