Should I return 16 for 32 gb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by philosopherdog, Mar 16, 2012.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

My gf got her 16 gb iPad tonight. We both had iPad 1's. The new display, sound and camera are awesome. My only concern is having ordered the 16 gb since the retina is going to tank the storage on this baby. I'm regretting my order which hasn't been delivered yet. How do I return an unrelieved iPad? And do I just order the 32 and wait at the back of the line?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm considering doing this if there is any stock tomorrow, who knows, might be!

3. tekno macrumors 6502a

Why would the display use more memory?

4. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

The apps are now a bit larger file size wise because of the extra grapics support for the new retina display

5. Nickpad3 macrumors newbie

What line? The trade off is willingness to carefully manage space vs having more time to have to deal with iTunes

6. tekno macrumors 6502a

So the iPad will download larger app files compared to the iPad?

7. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Exactly what I am wondering as well, I have enough Best Buy GC to buy fully buy a 16GB, but would have to fork out some extra cash ~$100 for a 32GB, is it worth it to?

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I hated to pay $100 to do so, but I ultimately bit the bullet (I dont expect to upgrade next year, couldn't see myself stuck at 16 gb for 2 years) and do not regret it. Feels much roomier now, can put everything I will actually use on it.

9. emaja macrumors 68000

I just did. I walked into the store and asked if I could swap my 16GB AT&T iPad for a 32GB Verizon one. They had plenty of each model so it wasn't a problem.

The store was still close to packed, but it seemed like there were more lookers than buyers. There was no lone at 3 PM when I went.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

11. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Thanx guys. I called Apple tonight and it's no problem returning their device for 14 days even if opened. Mine hasn't been delivered yet. I know that 16 gbs was tight on the iPad 1. With the new retina display it's going to be a huge problem for me even though I don't have any music. 16 gbs is not enough space if you're on this thing a lot. I thought I just couldn't spend the extra $100 but then I realized that I'm just being silly. It's a totally awesome machine and well worth $600 plus tax for the 32 gb. The camera is awesome, great screen, speedy, and even the sound seems much improved. Tomorrow I'll try to buy one in the morning and just just return the 16gb when Apple manages to deliver it. The 16 is a mistake for me since I'm a bit of a power user. Enjoy your machines! Peace

12. irishgreenapple macrumors member

We did too! Exchanged the two 16GB WiFis for two 32GB WiFis. Was wrestling with this since the 7th when we preordered and we started reading about the larger file sizes. When we decided to make the switch, it was too late, they were already preparing for shipping. I didn't think there would still be stock left in the stores after having to wait until the ones we ordered were delivered. I had to return those first, because we used Apple Gift Cards and wanted to be able to use them towards the new ones. Drove to the closest Apple Store (50 minutes away) and they had loads of them. Got everything switched and I am just so glad we went went through the hassle of exchanging. No more worries about running out of space. Much happier!

13. imeth macrumors regular

32GBs are a waste of money... Either go with the 16 or 64. For 16 to 32 it's only 100. 32GB with $100 more you get extra 32GB. Now if it was 48GB as the highest than yes 32GB is great

14. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i got the 16gb and put ONLY apps on my new ipad , fits perfect man, i dont know what ur fuzzing about so much.

if u wanna spend another 100 go for it, but why? :D unless u wanna put music, then sure u need more space.

15. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Its the worst value obviously, but at the same time if you know you don't need 64 its still $100 + tax saved... and not everyone needs to do that just to feel better about the value. Its not like $100 for 32 gigs is actually some steal or anything, still sucks its just not as bad as $100 for 16.

Plus I have 64 gigs of SD cards ready to go when the jailbreak enables them to be used for videos and shuttling stuff on/off without a pc via the camera connection kit and iFile. Obviously not as nice as real storage on the iPad or true SD card support, but it helps.

16. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

What? I think I get your point but you gotta learn how to process your thoughts dude.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The good news, is there are so many unsold iPads, exchanging one is fast and easy.

Apple did a good job this time around, shipping plenty of inventory to everyone.

All three Apple stores in my area still have all models in stock as of 30 minutes ago and expect it will last through the weekend.

18. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Everyone has different needs - you should only buy what you need.

If money is zero problem - then of course get the 32 - actually get the 64gb 4g

19. doboy macrumors 68000

It's waste of money when you buy more than you need.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

16GB is an insanely low amount now. Between all iTunes music being 256k (twice as large as the original 128k), 1080p videos and apps to support two Retina displays, you need storage. If you literally only plan to use a couple of apps and mostly Safari, Mail, etc., you can get away with it. But if you want to really get the experience, you need 32GB minimum. I settled for 32GB because that's the most I could find between two Targets, and I wasn't sure how long it would be before I could find a 64GB.

I think I'll be fine because I don't need much music stored on my iPad. But I can tell you from using a 16GB iPhone 4S that 16GB IS SO NOT THAT MUCH STORAGE ANY MORE!

21. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Definitely

32 Gig minimum, 64 Gid recommended.

22. MrJay23 macrumors member

I'd suggest it this is my first iPad and I went with a 16 but just said eff it 32 gb

23. coolnwo macrumors member

So even if it's opened it's no big deal to exchange tomorrow in the store?