Should I return by MacBook for a refund and repurchase in Septemeber/October

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by infobleep, Aug 10, 2008.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

So should I return my MacBook for a refund and buy a new one when the new ones come out in September/October?

I recently purchased a MacBook online with UK higher educational discount. I was coming to the end of my masters course so I decided to purchase it now before I was no longer a student. However it now turns out that I am likely to be a student until at least Christmas. I've not broken any seals on the MacBook. I did open the box to look inside at the contents but that was it. Nothing has been used. Although their website claims I am outside the return deadline, the MacBook was delivered to me on 30 July which was less than 14 days ago which means I am still within the returns period. I do not need to use the MacBook right now. I was planning to start using it once my course finished and I had time to set it up.

If I chose to return it, does anyone know if I can return it by my own appointed courier or do Apple require you to use one they appoint? I ask because, although my MacBook is not refurbished, the price for sending back a refurbished computer worth more than £300 is £60.

I list that price because there are some missing parts to Apples terms and conditions for UK sales for new computers. Namely the cost of return.

The terms and conditions(http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352...Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_consumer.html) state in paragraph 7.2 that

"If you choose to return a product the transportation charges set out in paragraph 7.2 paragraph D below will apply."

Paragraph 7.5 sates "(v) Please note that we reserve the right to reject any Product(s) that are not returned in accordance with the provisions set out above and particularly within paragraphs B and C D."

However there is no 7.2 paragraph D. There is for the refurbished sales terms and conditions but those are a separate set of terms and conditions that do not apply to my purchase.

Surely if they do not set out any charges for the return, I can use my own courier company of choosing. May be there are no charges but that seems highly unlikely. Post Office special delivery with £1000 damage insurance is only £21.45 which is a third of the price that Apple charge for sending back refurbished computers.

I've also been reading about the back to school offers which start in September. Am I right in thinking they will only apply to current stock and not the fourth coming MacBooks. I'm not that bothered about iPods. I would rather have an updated computer.

Kind regards

Infobleep
    PS I should have come to this site before I purchased but I didn't think to search for such a site before placing my order.

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think there will always be some update or offer around the corner that makes people feel like they should wait. Basically, you should just get a computer when the time is right, use it and enjoy it, and know that you could've gotten something different if you'd waited a few months, but since that's always the case, don't dwell on it.

As far as the being outside the window for the 14-day return, I'd call Apple and ask. If you've got proof of delivery date, I'd mention that, too - I'd expect that's a necessary piece of info.

But my 2 cents is that unless there's some critical mistake you made in your choice of computer, you should just start using it and enjoy.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The new MacBook isn't going to be wildly better. It may have an aluminium enclosure, but I'm doubting this as it's more expensive to manufacture computers made of metal and it's less durable than plastic.

Most people won't notice a difference in performance between the two machines. There aren't any new processors on the market which will make 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo look slow, so anything Apple can include in the new MacBook will be marginally better at best.

I'd say stick with your current machine. No doubt the new MacBook will go down the ugly route with every new computer Apple is releasing these days so stick with the classic design :)

4. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies. My concern was that Apple were about to release something much better and thus make a laptop purcahsed now obsolete much quicker.

I'm not interested in always having the leatest thing but as I only buy computers every 4-5 years I tend to want the get something that isn't about to end.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The computer you bought won't be obsolete anytime soon, it should serve you well for a long time. :)

And if they do start producing the Macbook with aluminum casing, as neiltc13 mentions, that might actually be a drawback. There have been a lot of posts here on MR about aluminum cases affecting wifi access negatively compared to plastic.

6. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up static shocks fairly easily and although I don't how easy it is to get shocks off aluminium, that does concern me encase it is.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Go for it, break the seals, start using and enjoying. :cool:

8. sargent bannana macrumors member

i am in compleate shock !!!!:eek: how some one buys a macbook and dosent open it an use it. i cant live with myself if i bought a macbook and never used it/opened it. when i bought my touch i opened it and took it out before i left the apple store.

I say keep your macbook and be happy with it. We always want stuff and we wait untill its cheaper or a new model comes out and wait and never acctually buy it have fun with your new mac =) :D

9. billdoublewide macrumors newbie

I bought a gen 1 macbook when they first came out in June '06. I'm typing on it right now and serves me just fine. You can't sweat future upgrades, get what you need when you need it. I did wait for the intel switchover, but other than a platform change like that, I wouldn't wait if I had a need.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I would return it - the back to school offer is worth having normally - phone Apple on the 0800 number and ask about returning it - I suspect that they will use UPS or TNT and I am not sure that they will charge you - ask them.

If they are going to charge ask whether you can Special Delivery it back to them or perhaps you could return it to an Apple Store.

You can always quote the Distant Selling regulations to them but I think Apple's version is actually better !

I returned a MacBook in October 2007 (purchased through HE store) and was never charged for the carriage back to Apple.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My advice would be the same as that of the people who have posted already. Go ahead and enjoy the MB. It is very easy to torture yourself endlessly with thoughts of "what if" and "what might be" when wondering about additions or updates to models. You have bought a beautiful machine, and it will remain a stunning piece of equipment whatever is released later in the year. Open the box and enjoy your MB. Then, perhaps, sell in a year or so, by which time there will have been some fairly significant updates. Good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic, 30 GB

12. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I wouldn't bother sending it back, unless you really want the new MB. And if you decide to keep it, and then prefer the new one when it comes out, you can always sell the current MB and buy a new one. It'll easily fetch a good price.

13. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

If you always want the newest thing from apple, you will either always be waiting or be broke. Apple comes out with upgrades every year I believe, so if you need it now keep it, if you don't and don't mind waiting you can do that too.

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I can't do that either :rolleyes: It has to come out the moment I'm home. Or well... after dinner at the latest.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Laptops twice a year, iMac twiceish a year, iPods once, iPhone once, Mac Mini never, and Mac Pro every year and a half.

16. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to everyone for their comments. I will at least ring Apple and see what they say. Due to coursework demands, I do not currently have time to set up the MacBook and transfer all my data. That's why I've not been bothered about leaving it unopened. I've used Macs in previous jobs before, the old classic ones, so I know what they are like to some extent. This will just be more modern and faster.

I currently using a PC laptop which is about 4 years old. It works but it won't last forever, which is why I purchased the MacBook whilst I still get a discount. Which is why I am considering sending it back as my discount period will exist when the updates are out. If I don't have to pay return fees then I think I will certainly send it back.

Whilst I don't constantly want the latest thing, if I am buying something that costs almost £1000 then I don't want to buy something that is updated 2 months later. I know PCs get updated every month but this isn't the case with Macs.

Regards

Infobleep

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just because they upgrade computers doesn't make yours automatically obsolete. It will still do everything you got it for, so just enjoy it. As for the aluminum casing, my MBP has pretty good wifi range.

18. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there

Just to let people know what happened. I sent the computer back as their was no cost involved and I get a full refund.

I will either place an order when the promotion starts or more likely wait until the newer computers come out.

I could have kept the current computer but as I don't have time to enjoy using it right now I might as well start again when I do have the time, especially if it means I will get something slightly better.

Regards

Infobleep

19. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Thanks for letting us know - I think that you have made the right decision.

The Back to School UK promotion will coincide with either new MacBooks or at least better specs and maybe cheaper (maybe even both).

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You'll no doubt be happy with whatever you end up getting. :)

And like logana said - thanks for letting us know what you decided.