Should I return it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drpellypo, Nov 19, 2007.

1. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Got a new SR macbook last week. Was running really, really slow. Re-installed os from the DVD, and now runs speedily! So that problem sorted. However, I have a couple of other issues.

1) The screen seems really washed out. There's practically no contrast unless I tilt the screen as far back as it will go. I struggle to see titles in safari tabs for instance, because there's little contrast between the black and gray.

2) Keyboard issues. I touch type, and quite fast, and at first I was having massive issues with the macbook skipping letters randomly. I resolved this to an extent by pushing up the repeat rate of the keys. However, the V key in particular is very very dodgy. If I hold it down, it runs a line of V's, then stops, then starts again, then stops. Other keys do not do this.

"Just send it back to Apple," I hear you say. But my problem is this. I run an online store selling car care products, and I simply need my net connection and laptop. Unfortunately, I just sold the other computer in the house so if the macbook went away, I'd have to go to mum and dad's to deal with queries and orders. Not so bad if it's just a couple of days, but a big pain if it's longer.

So - are there any fixes I can do myself to remedy the above, or is it definitely a 'only solved by apple' issue? Does anyone know of anywhere I can take it near Northumberland in the UK (Newcastle upon Tyne even) as the nearest apple store is half way down the country, so I can avoid the wait? I'd even pay for the repair if it meant getting it back straight away. Or alternatively, may it be the case that Apple ascertain I just need a new one, and swap it out? Or is that not how they work?

Many thanks ;)

2. mlcolorado macrumors newbie

You actually have 2+ options here:

1. Return and Buy another one: A sure way to make sure that you get another one right away. Except for the issues that you may not be able to return it if on your receipt the "Return Date Until (or something like that)" may have already passed.

2. Use your warranty: Take it to the Genius Bar and tell them all of your problems. They might just give you a new one anyway or fix it for you. If they fix it for you, they generally go fairly fast. One time for me, they told me it would be 7 days, and then it was back in 3.

3. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

2 problems with that ;)

I ordered mine online, and it took two weeks to come.

There are no genius bars anywhere near here, as mentioned. The nearest mac store is over 200 miles away. Hence my line of questioning really.

4. mlcolorado macrumors newbie

Oops!:eek:

Well, I think you should call your Applecare/Apple Support number with the free warranty you get with your computer and talk to them. I don't know what that number is where you live, but that is what I would suggest at this point. They will probably send you a box with a shipping sticker pre-stuck to the box for you to ship your computer to them to fix.

5. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Good lord - read my post! :eek: :D

I cannot have the laptop taken away because Apple will take up to two weeks to send it back. Possibly more. That's just not practical, as I mentioned in my original post. I need an option where I can have either a new MB delivered, and my old one taken away, or, a repair place I can take it to. I will be happy to pay for this if it means I will get it back the same or next day. To re-iterate, there are no apple stores anywhere near here.

6. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Have you tried adjusting the screen brightness - I've found that Apple has it attrociously bright and can give the appearance of washed out colours.

7. iBecks macrumors 6502

have you tried screen calibration, that may help.

8. Mangolda macrumors newbie

How do you do that ?

9. Bossworld macrumors member

Sheffield Meadowhall, they've had mine since last Monday and i've not heard a thing about it yet. Manchester Trafford Centre's about equidistant but my family's from Yorkshire so it makes sense for me to go and see them when i come back from Newcastle.

Your other option is one of these authorised people, the nearest one is Ouseburn Valley, but it's in the middle of a **** area (Byker), everything else is boarded up around it, and they're more interested in sales than repair (told me it'd be 2 weeks before they could even look at it last time i tried)

Apple probably won't swap it, mine's gone back now twice, first time logic board/BT replacement, this time those two again plus a new outer casing cos of stains from a tucano 'protective' sleeve. First time the chap said 'lucky you've got applecare, there's £540 of repairs there'. Well, it was still in the last days of its warranty when i took it in so that's irrelevant, but I asked the bloke this time, saying surely it's beyond economical repair. He said not in apples eyes.

EDIT: and meadowhall's only 130 miles away, not 200 ;) If you're skint you could always megabus (www.megabus.com ) it down for £3 return from Central Station

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

11. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's most helpful! I will try the place in Byker.
    Also thank to the person who uploaded that profile. I will try it when I get home. I did try another, which did make a big difference, but it's still not right.

The key issue I may be able to live with. Fortunately, there's not that many words with the letter v in them! I've found since I've messed a bit more with the repeat rates it's been much better. V key is deffo dud though.

12. Bossworld macrumors member

I've still not heard back about mine, don't know whether to ring or not because i'm sure they'll then tell me they're just doing it now.

Doubt you'll get a refund or exchange from the one in Ouseburn, hence why I went to an apple store (yet i had no luck either so read into that what you will)

let us know how you get on

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the part about online ordering that urks me. I think your 14 days should start the day you sign for the item because of cases like this.
    While not practical why would you bother paying for a brand new machine and then pay less than 30 days later to have it fixed when the issue was not caused by you? Seems like you have some money to toss around, which is fine, but why would you want to do that? So it is not practical to have your computer? What the heck were you using before? Certainly this is not the first and only computer because you ordered online somehow! I say let them take it back and never live with problems when the machine probably ran you somewhere around 2000 pounds. Right? Also, I've never known Apple to do a deliver and swap but you may try and find out if they will. Good Luck.

14. MicBook macrumors regular

Tell them to send you a new one and when you receive the new ship them the old one back they will usually let you do that

15. TSE macrumors 68030

I would try to call Applecare and have them see what your options are, worse case scenario you have to use your parents internet for awhile, or just look in the newspaper/craigslist and look for a cheap late G3/G4 computer for 100 bucks with local pickup use that one while you send it in.

Thing is, you should ALWAYS have a backup computer.

16. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

dude the screen issue is universal look around the sr macbook have rubbish screens period.

the keyboard issue i haven't come across so that would validate a return.

mine has lines all over the screen when viewed on a white background (again seems to be a universal prob so im not going to bitch for now)

like you i also need my macbook as im a trainee teacher so its a life saver , my advice is either learn to live with the defects until you have to get time to get it repaired or return it asap.

thanks

17. TSE macrumors 68030

New Santa Rosa Blackbook here, no screen issues. Don't give BS that every MacBook has screen issues.

18. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

i dont take kindly to people saying i chat bs just search these forums for the screen issues and you will soon find out for yourself. Just because you are not picky or carefull enough to a spot a defect doesn't mean you dont have ONE !

anyway that does not help the thread starter at all but the general consensus is that the sr macbook has a few issues so dont come to me like its a perfect rev.

19. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a Sony Vaio which I sold on ebay the day my macbook arrived. I'm willing to pay to get it repaired because although I do have a backup I can use, it'll take me an age to copy all the stuff I use over. I charge £75 per hour, so any time lost to messing about sorting out the backup machine will cost me likely more than a repair. I just want it fixed!

As it happens... the graphics issue seems to have been resolved (albeit in a small way) by the latest update, and the keyboard seems to have sorted itself too. Repeated wacking the V key in frustration seems to have sorted it!

Many thanks for all the suggestions chaps and chapesses.

20. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed - I have seen 5 of these, and they all have tosh displays. Alas, when I had a play with the MB in PC world, and decided to order online (I'd rather eat a pick-a-lilly than buy something from PC World) it was the pre SR machine, and in fact, when I ordered, it was pre SR, but they automatically 'upgraded' me.

To the poster who said his MB display is fine, you've either got a pre SR one, or you're the kind of person who goes to a TV shop and picks the brightest, most vibrant one.

21. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

So what your saying is EVERY MB display is bad???

22. 7031 macrumors 6502

That really doesn't sound right. My SR Macbook pro screen is perfect.