Should I return it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, May 25, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I got a new MacBook Pro this afternoon. I was very excited, but I think it's been used before. When I first opened the computer, the protective film was partially bent at one corner, and it certainly didn't occur by me. I charged the computer, and then set it up, and hooked it up to my old Mac using the FireWire to transfer all of my data. I let that go this evening, which took about four hours. It finally finished, and I was ready to rock, but I noticed that the F12 sticks out and looks like it could pop off easily in the future, the two aluminum sheets by the arrow keys jiggle, and there's a big smudge on the back of the computer. I know that I couldn't've occurred any of these problems myself because I hardly moved the computer or even touched the keyboard.

Should I return it?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, but I'm worried that some of the keys or the aluminum slates may pop off. Also, it is clear that the computer has been used before, and I paid for a new one.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

If the keys pop off then return it. I don't think a bent bit of plastic and smudge are conclusive proof that it's been used.

5. fatcat23 macrumors member

What kind of smudge was on the back of the computer? Was it just like finger grease/sweat? If so, it was probably just from when the person at the apple factory was packing it.

When you first opened the box, On the part that had to be cut open(the taped seal part), is there one seal or more than one seal on it. by the seal I mean the circle tape thing. If there was more than one, that could mean that somebody could have opened it on the path between apple and you.

Where did you buy if from? Phone them and starting complaining asap. Complaining always works.

If not, put a scratch in it and same it came scratched. lol, only kidding.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

My sister bought one the night before without any of these differences.

The keys aren't popping off yet, but I'm worried that they might in the future. Some of the function keys stick out more than others, and the aluminum slates around the arrow keys jiggle.

If the Genius Bar would maybe fix these problems as part of my yearly tuneup or whatever, I'd be fine, but if I could exchange it for a different one with no restocking fee, I'd do it.

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

They should swap it out for you no problem since you JUST got it.

You spent a lot of money. You should be thoroughly satisfied with it. If you're not, make them give you one that's up to snuff.