Should I return my 1 week old Dell Xps 15 for a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nizmoz, Sep 2, 2012.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I sold my MBA as I needed a more powerful machine for work and personal that runs Windows and built well. So I went with the more obvious dell xps 15 as it feels like a mbp. But with all the issues they are having, poor wifi performance, a04 bios only gives gpu performance while CPU is severely throttled or a06 gives CPU while gpu is badly throttled., plus bad support from dell not resolving the issues. The cost was 2k with tax. What are your thoughts? My budget is that and I can send it back. I am going to use it for some gaming, like black ops, bf3 and VMware testing for work in windows. Any compatibility issues with boot camp? How much does the extended warranty cost on it?

Thanks ahead of time or all the help. I also would need a drive to load software on.

Also can the drive and ram be upgraded easily on the retina mbp like the regular mbp?

2. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry one more question... The screen is not that huge of a deal for me but I do photo editing too and will this model be a issue with adobe?

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

As a casual gamer who uses a rMBP, I can tell you that it runs most games extremely well. The card is so powerful that I can even run Skyrim through VMware. Check out YouTube, many people have powerful games running on the machine without issues. Bootcamp runs fine. AppleCare costs $350 for the rMBP, but many other places will sell it for $240.

The RAM cannot be upgraded. The SSD can be upgraded, but doing so voids Apple's warranty and requires specialized parts.

Adobe will run fine, but to my knowledge it currently can't make full use of the Retina display. This means that it will work, but it will just look a little bit fuzzy. Pushing the display to higher resolutions alleviates this issue. Adobe is working on updating their software.

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the response. Trying to decide if I want to get the Retina or the Matte High Resolution model since that machine is a bit more upgrade able....and more reasonable.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Personally for me it isn't even a choice. I have owned dell computers and apple, and apple is by far the superior product.

6. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree and I already got a RMA for the Dell laptop. So it is going back, but need help on ordering a new MBP. See above.

Where should I order it to skip on the tax and get the best discount?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Do what works for you. This isn't a one-size-fits-all matter. Dell's machine are fine in my opinion but I wouldn't select them over Apple for personal use. As with any subjective matter, YMMV.

"Obvious"? Does simply looking like another product make that product "obvious"? :confused:

Also a subjective matter.

8. noles1983 macrumors regular

Great choice on returning the Dell my fellow SA buddy. I had a Dell XPS M1530 for years, had the motherboard replaced like 4 times. Never again will I buy a dell. My MPB 13" is the best laptop I have ever owned. period.

As for the sales tax, I would say amazon, but they now charge sales tax for TX residents. I did end up getting mine there though, and right now the basic MPB 13" is $40 cheaper than when i bought mine last week.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD101LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B0074703CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346699910&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro+13

They also have to 15" there too if thats what you are looking at. Dont get the upgraded hard drive, like others have said buy it seperately and do it yourself. I recommend the Corsair Vengeance memory and Samsung 830 SSD. My MBP is wicked fast.

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Use an educational discount - $100 off plus a $100 itunes store card.

I'd say getting a high res MBP with upgraded video card might be the best choice for you. Then, later, put in a SSD yourself.

10. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Just ordered it from MacMall.

Macbook Pro 2012
    2.3ghz
    4gb of ram
    500gb HD
    High-Resolution Anti-Glare screen

No Tax
    No shipping
    $100 gift card to restraunts
    $1894 shipped

Also ordered from newegg:

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive For $216.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 $84.99

11. noles1983 macrumors regular

Awesome :D Enjoy!

12. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yes. My experience over the last three or four years doing bulk computer purchases, dell's have a 40-50% chance of dying in the first year.

13. pingfan59 macrumors member

had dell laptops and will never go back from Apple. Far superior as my dell's casing started cracking and falling apart and I always take great care of my laptops, but the cheap plastic they used I guess would not even hold up to going in and out of a bag alot without showing wear.

Of course now I have a laptop sleeve etc to avoid any scratches on my mbp.

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Congratulations on your choice, I think you will be very pleased.

Also thank you for posting your choice. So many people ask for advice on these forums and then never have the courtesy to come back and let people know what they decided on.

The wait will be difficult won't it?

$100 gift card for restraints!! Mine is only for Apple stuff. Since I need so little it will take me a while to use it. :D

15. 725032 Guest

NO... Dont do it

Check all the current threads re retina pro issues

Its a nightmare... Many users have returned 10+ times, some 20+ times!!!

I returned mine... Now waiting on 2nd gen.

Dont waste ur time.

16. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't get the retina but a 2012 mbp classic. No worries. Also after I posted that macmall gave me an additional 3% off.

17. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Got my laptop today. Will post some pictures probably tomorrow of me upgrading it. :) Oh I love it! :)

18. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is my new MBP and installing the Samsung 830 SSD, drive bay for 2nd HD, and putting my Cdrom in it's new caddy and 16gb of new ram.

The HD caddy was only $11 bucks. :) Works great and good quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Great set up and pics!!!

Enjoy :D

I'm surprised the XPS series have plummeted to a POS system. My old XPS 1210m is still going rock solid with no cosmetic or functional problem, except for a new battery!