Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Jump on that microcenter deal and fast. I really want to. Now if someone will buy my aluminum MacBook...

Best buy matched microcenter and I got double rewards zone points which equates to another $40 on a future purchase.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Downgrade from the i7 to the i5 and use part of the difference to put an SSD in it. Then you'll never notice the difference I guarantee. That $400 will but an SSD and 8gb of mem and leave beer money to boot.

FOX160

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I looked at the i7 and even the chap in the Apple store said its not much
difference so I went for the base model and regarding the hard drive you
can go on the apple web site and put in the 500 gig drive for an extra £40
pounds or simply buy an 1TB external drive from £ 100 pounds and still
be quids in! Thats what I have done.

Wicked4u2c

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
Really??? I hadn't heard this. Do you have a source where I could read up on this?

Sure Google "Apple disables Turbo boost" there is your source. Also, I tried it on my i7 using CPU-Z and never boosted so I can confirm it is true.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for the tip. I went through several pages and the only thing that I could prove for sure is that everyone is referring to the findings of the same UK PC magazines testing and their speculation that Apple has in deed disabled it. Nothing has been stated for fact by either Intel or Apple. I wonder if like stated elsewhere it may be a fault in the chip and not something Apple has deliberately done.
Apple only guarantees that OS X will work and says it can run Windows (but doesn't guarantee the full compatibility). They may have found no issues under OS X, as has been proven, and not tested fully under Windows (or even discovered it under Windows and not thought of it as an issue). I just don't see where it is a known and proven fact that Apple disabled TurboBoost as everyone is claiming.
I don't disagree that everyone is seeing issues. I just think that if Apple is deliberately doing this, then it could easily be proven by disassembling the bootcamp drivers. For it to work under OS X and not under BootCamp, it would have to be a software lock and not a hardware lock ad be revealed within the drivers.
I didn't fully read all of the findings in my search, but I wonder if the same results were found when running Windows under a VM image, as they use their own tools and not Apples BootCamp drivers???

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
you say all you need it for is web browsing and light gaming....heck a pos $400 acer laptop can handle these requirements np........save your money and get the i5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.