Should I return my 15" 2019 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iandk, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:33 AM.

  1. iandk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #1
    Hi,

    I recently got a 2019 15" MBP with an i9/ 16GB DDR4/ 560X/ 512GB SSD.
    Now I saw all the rumors about the new 16" model and that they will drop the current 15" model.
    I'm definitely not unhappy with the device, but on the other hand I dont want to have a macbook which is end of life only a few months after release.

    Now I'm wondering whether to return my current 15" MBP and get a 16" later on?
     
  2. Hieveryone, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:45 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 12:50 AM

    Hieveryone macrumors 68040

    Hieveryone

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2014
    #2
    Well I'm kind of in the same position. I got the base model 2019 15"

    The way I see it, I feel like I'm getting a fully loaded 2016 model (almost, minus the 8-core).

    Meaning, the kinks and issues are hopefully worked out and this generation is perfected.

    My fear is that the 16" will be first gen and I'll have to face all the new problems (if there are any)

    I'd rather have a problem free 2019 15" THAN a 16" first gen that may possibly give me trouble.

    I can't be going to the apple store and having them take maybe even 2 weeks to fix an issue
     
  3. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #3
    On the other hand, I cant believe that they will drop the 15".
    I mean they just released a new model and if they drop the 15" the gap between the 13" and 16" will be huge..
     
  4. Lyrca macrumors regular

    Lyrca

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2017
    Location:
    France
    #4
    I wouldn't, this is just the way tech works.

    If you are happy with your current MBP and that it suits all your needs just keep it.
     
  5. marzfreerider macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2014
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    If you don't need it right now, return it and wait. The possible fact of a new keyboard design would be worth while. I'm going on my second keyboard replacement in less than 6 months. The current ones are a joke, but that's just my opinion.
     
  6. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #6
    Fortunately I still have my old 13" mbp, so I'll probably return it and wait for the 16" model
     
  7. Never mind macrumors 6502

    Never mind

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2018
    Location:
    Dunedin, Florida
    #7
    This is your decision not ours. If you’re not happy return it now.
     
  8. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #8
    yea sure, just wanted to hear some thoughts and feedback, I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation
     
  9. eulslix, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM

    eulslix macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    #9
    Well I can tell you my take on this. I'm in a different situation. I don't have my 2018 15" MBP anymore, I'm stuck with my 2013 MBP. My workflow right now is slowed down quite a lot by working on this old machine. However, my current job situation doesn't allow for huge investments, so I can't just buy a new MBP and then replace it with a 16" taking the risk of losing out a lot of money.
    So as long as I have no critical tasks to do, I decided that all the advantages that seem(!) to come with the 16" are totally worth it suffering through the next (hopefully) 1-2 months, since they 14% increase in screen estate alone will make up productivity wise in the future. And I'm not even talking about the keyboard issues at that point...

    It's a very individual calculation and really depends on how much money is at stake for you right now in the moment. Calculate how much you lose out on today, how much of a benefit you think the next gen will generate and in the end the numbers should speak for themselves.
     
  10. lockman_321 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2019
    #10

    Ok so i literally just bought a maxed out 13" macbook pro after spending months debating between that and the 15"

    Although i love this laptop and its probably the best piece of kit i have bought in ages, i have thought i should have gone for the 15"

    With all the rumours about the 16" swirling around it doesn't make sense to change it for a 15".

    So i am going to return this on the 19th and then hold out for the 16". as annoying as it will be with not having a computer for a month or so, the way i see this is it is a long term purchase (i don't want to upgrade for another 5 years) so the best thing to do is be patient.
     
  11. mathewr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #11

    why after having the new mbp do you wish you went for the 15 inch. im asking cause i just purchased 13 inch after having 15 inch for 7 years.
     
  12. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2016
    #12
    I mean...something new is always around the corner. I'm just chilling with me Mid 2015 MBP and will probably use it until it's completely worn out or stops getting updates lol. It's up to you...is it worth being without a newer machine for a few weeks/months? Are the improvements on the new model *really* worth it over what you've got? So far, the 2019 keyboard seems to be holding up well, and you've got a 4 year warranty on that keyboard as well. Plus, if it does fail, new battery for you as well since that's all one assembly. I'd say just keep it if it suits your needs and you are ok with the keyboard.
     
  13. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #13
    I'll wait a few more days, maybe it's getting more clear, whether the 15" will be dropped.
     
  14. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #14
    I don't think you will receive conclusive evidence that the 15" model will be dropped in just a few days. Apple plays close to the vest on these things and everything we have so far is speculation. I think its viable, don't get me wrong and I do expect a 16"

    The question is do you or can you, wait until October?
     
  15. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #15
    I still have my old 13" so yea, will probably be the best to wait for october.
     
  16. Howard2k macrumors 68020

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #16
    Why are you concerned about them dropping the 15”? How do you think it will affect your current machine?
     
  17. myapple2019 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2019
    #17
    Since you do not need the new one, return it and wait for the incoming 16”. That is what I will do if I were you.
     
  18. iandk thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    #18
    It won't affect my current machine, but still, don't want to spend so much money on a device to be eol soon.
     
  19. jerryk macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #19
    Keeping your machine might turn out to be a very good decision. I am sure a lot of people that upgraded to the 2016 MBP wish they would have kept their their 2015 machine (and gotten a new battery).

    If the 16" is much of change beyond screen size it may also have new design issues like the original retina MacBooks (GPU issues), and the 2016 (keyboard, USB-C, etc issues).
     

Share This Page

18 August 12, 2019