Should I return my 15" for the newer model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purplestuff, Feb 24, 2011.

  1. purplestuff macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #1
    Having bought the 2010 15" macbook pro in the last 14 days, is it worthwhile to return it to the apple store and buy the new baseline 15"? I'm uncertain how significant the changes in the newer models are, will the 2.0ghz i7 quad core be noticeably faster than my current 2.4ghz i5 cpu and is the 6490m better or worse compared to my current 320m? I've heard I might also have to pay a 10% restocking fee which also leaves me doubtful whether I should return it or not. Any advice would be extremely helpful, thank you (sorry if this is posted in the wrong section).
     
  2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #2
    if you are able to return it .. I would and pick up one of the newer ones
     
  3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Location:
    Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
    #3
    I would return it unless there is a significant price difference. It is my understanding that Apple Stores have eliminated the restocking fees.
     
  4. babyt macrumors regular

    babyt

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    Location:
    texas
    #4
    i did.
    :D
     
  5. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #5
    I purchased a 2.8GHz 15" antiglare model 2 weeks ago, upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added a 512GB solid-state drive. I wonder if there would seriously be any advantages to selling this machine on eBay and going with the newer model...the only advantage I see with the new machines is an improved video card and quad-core processing capabilities. Also, the newer models have 1333MHz memory and an SDXC card slot.
     
  6. purplestuff thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #6
    Did you have to pay any restocking fees or is it true that it has been eliminated?
    @WardC Would I see any improvement moving from a 2.4ghz dual core i5 to a 2.0ghz quad core i7, wouldn't it be slower as it has a lower clock speed? I'm not really going to do heavy multi tasking so more cores doesn't really matter to me.
     
  7. gregrose macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #7
    heres a smart idea, take out the new HD & RAM, put in the old, go return it, buy new one, put in new hd & ram = win
     
  8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

    Blu101

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    #8
    You can't re-use the RAM, because one is 1066Mhz, while the other (new one) is 1333Mhz.
     
  9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

    R.Perez

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #9
    Wish I could do that. Mine is about a month and a half old. bummer:mad:
     
  10. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

    Blu101

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    #10
    You can't compare clock speeds between two different architectures (not a direct comparison) - one is Arrandale (2010) and the other is Sandy Bridge (2011).
     
  11. WardC macrumors 68030

    WardC

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    #11
    I just checked, and my return date was Feb. 21st, 2011. It's too late. Guess I will have to sell it on eBay if I want to upgrade to the 2011 model. I did get the SSD pretty cheap and the RAM too, so I might not lose too much money on the resale (I have a $4500 Apple-spec laptop that I paid about $3600 for laptop + upgrades)

    I did the same thing with my Mac Pro - I bought a 2009 model a week before the 2010 models came out, then I sold my 2009 Mac Pro and bought the 2010 model. I guess I just have bad luck on deciding the right time to buy. I had predicted the MacBook Pro refresh was not coming until April or May.
     
  12. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #12
    Call your nearest store and ask if they can make an exception. They've done it to me in the past. It's only 3 days past for you.
     
  13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

    jbg232

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #13
    Agreed, doesn't hurt to ask. And if you're in NYC, you can ask at multiple places... The loss of the price for the RAM (which is still sellable if not returnable) is way less than the loss on ebay for a better machine now.
     

Share This Page