Should I return my 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I managed to somehow get a Genius Bar appointment tonight at 6:45. Kind of hard to get one around here, so I'm wondering if I should take mine in for a replacement. Here's a list of my concerns:

First, my voice control doesn't seem to understand 90% of my commands. I don't have an accent, so I don't think it's the way I speak.

Second, my compass seems to be on the fritz if I'm in the car. Warns me about interference. Is this because I'm in a closed area? Anyone else's doing this?

Third, My ear speaker and speakerphone seem to crackle. Almost like Apple pushed the speaker beyond its limit just to make it louder. Anyone else's crackling?

Fourth, and some of you may have seen this thread, my sim card tray seems to be a little off. Not a big deal, but it's there nonetheless. I've tried other trays with/without sim cards so it's definitely the phone.

Pics:
    http://www.nikostoscani.com/images/3gspace.jpg
    http://www.nikostoscani.com/images/3gspace2.jpg

Maybe I should wait a bit and become more experienced with the 3GS before taking it back. What do you think?

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would probably end up taking that back. If nothing else, the SIM card slot doesn't look right at all. The thing about earpiece and speakerphone crackling also seem suspicious. I noticed it a lot when I was on my 2G phone, but since I upgraded I don't notice it at all.

The only thing I would suggest is calling your Apple store and ask if they have any replacements that they can give you. If they don't, then you're just going to have to go back to the store once they have more stock.

3. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I think I'm going to go to my Genius Bar appointment since it has been pretty hard to get an appointment lately. If they don't have replacements I think they can at least write something up so I can just swap it out when they come in, rather than having to see a Genius again.

I just don't want it to seem like I'm nitpicking, but I think I have legitimate reason to complain.

4. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Make sure you're saying the correct commands for voice control. I said "Play Arctic Monkeys" and it played albums by Muse. You have to say "Play artist Arctic Monkeys" and it works flawlessly. Its all about the commands.

Cars contain a lot of magnetic interference reducers, and this makes it difficult for a magnetometer to function properly. It's pretty normal and varies from vehicle to vehicle.

The speakers do seem to be pushed beyond their limits, I just turned the volume down.

Your SIM looks off, so that's reason enough to exchange it.

For me, I have a mushy power button, a mis-matched home button, and a slightly loose ring/silent switch.

5. matt550 macrumors 6502

The voice control thing sucks. I will say "play U2" and it will play flobots. it has never got it right. or "play garth brooks" and it played R.E.M. worthless imo

Edit: Just saw the post above me. seems I was doing it wrong :eek:

6. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I think my only legitimate complaint is the way the sim tray fits (or doesn't). Right now I have an Incipio Feather on the phone, so I can't even see it, but it's still there.

My main concern is ending up with something that is worse. I guess I could always take a look at the new one before exchanging. I'd wait it out, but I wouldn't want them to blame the sim tray thing on me down the road.

7. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Yup, you were doing it wrong.

8. notjustgc macrumors 6502

Haha, I was just about to multiquote...

9. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thanks! Just saw the sticky as well. I wasn't saying the word "artist" which was screwing it all up. Sometimes "call ___" is off too, but I need to get used to it.

10. 103734 Guest

My 3G S SIM card tray is off too, but I'm not sure if it was like that before I dropped my phone or just after.

11. sirhumbak macrumors newbie

Sounds like most of the 3GS features are just hassles. Aside from the processor & 1 megapixel camera difference is there anything the 3G when jailbroke can't do that GS boasts?

12. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Great to see Apple have sorted their quality control out since the 3G :( How the hell can they charge so much for a piece of hardware with such ****** build quality is beyond comprehension.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I you are not happy with the performance and quality why wouldn't you return it?

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The one thing that the 3G will never be able to match is the speed of the device. I'm finding it to be a very palpable difference. IMHO, the speed is the true "killer app."

15. matttye macrumors 601