Should I return my Air and wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tssguy123, Jun 6, 2013.

  1. tssguy123 macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2013
    I haven't been paying much attention to the Mac world lately, as I broke my MacBook Pro months ago and.. well.. I've been busy. I came into $1,700 and decided I'd get back into the Apple Ecosystem, so I ran down to Bestbuy to see if they did the Student Discount in-store. It turns out they had a sale, so their pricing was cheaper than Apple's discount... I bought a 13" base-line Air for $1,129.99 plus tax... However, I was just browsing here and I hear talk of a refresh in the coming weeks. When (as close to exactly as we know) is said refresh supposed to happen? I can return the MacBook within 15 days of purchase.. I bought it the 29th of May... so that's 8 days ago. I have a beast of a desktop and I have put maybe a couple of hours of use into my Air since I purchased it, so I'm considering returning it and buying a new one when the refresh happens. I don't forsee myself using a laptop much soon since college doesn't start till fall.. Just wondering what everyone's opinions were.
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
  3. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2011
    Definitely return it, don't want to pay that much for old HW!
  4. TC25 macrumors 68020

    Mar 28, 2011
    Don't return it.
  5. tssguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2013
    Why do you say that?
  6. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

    Jun 16, 2012
    Sarcasm lol
  7. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    As contradiction to the previous post. You have to make up your own mind with the information given to you.
  8. TC25 macrumors 68020

    Mar 28, 2011
  9. designs216 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    Yes, take it back. Wait a little longer for the refresh and if there are no upgrades that matter to you, get the outgoing model at a deeper discount.
  10. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

    Apr 16, 2010
    If you return wont you have to pay 20% restocking fee?
  11. Jesla macrumors 6502a


    Jan 7, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    Do what you want...

    I just bought an 11" yesterday as a work backup. Not really anything coming that I needed. So far I'm just as happy with it as I am with my new rMBP13.

    I'm not a fanboy that's gotta have the newest and greatest. It was on sale too.
  12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I think you'll get shafted with their restocking fee. Lesson learned but I wouldn't want to lose 20% on something I just bought. If you don't care then go for it.
  13. JMountainDew macrumors regular


    Apr 24, 2012
    I don't believe BestBuy charges a restocking fee within 14 days. A couple years ago I returned an opened net book within a week for a full refund.
  14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040


    Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    I'm not sure if Best Buy has a restocking fee. Don't see it mentioned on their website:

    A few years ago I got a Windows Netbook that I wasn't satisfied with. I was enrolled in their "Silver Rewards" program at the time which gives you a longer period to return items. I took it back after over a month and got a full refund. They were not so happy about it, but it really wasn't a problem. :)
  15. oneMadRssn macrumors 601


    Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Usually I'm the person who says buy today what you need today, and don't worry about the possibility of forthcoming updated hardware.

    However, you only have to wait until Monday morning to know whether or not to return. I think next Thursday is your last day to return.

    So sit tight, read the blogs recapping what Apple (and Microsoft and Sony at E3) announced on Monday evening with a hot cup of relaxing tea, and decide whether or not it's worth it to you to pay full price for the updated hardware (if there is any at all that interests you).

    Then, you can mull it over all day Tuesday, and return your MBA on Wednesday because of course everyone wants the latest and greatest :p
  16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

    May 1, 2009
    why not wait and see what comes out? if you bought it on the 29th of may you have some time
  17. David58117 macrumors 65816

    Jan 24, 2013
    *There is no restocking fee*

    I returned my 11" air to Best Buy, bought it a few days ago and returned yesterday.

    I just plainly told them there's a refresh coming out next week and I'd rather wait and get that.

    Zero problems, no questions asked.

    Best Buy receives a lot of hate due to younger sales staff, but they're one of the best places to buy and return (if needed). Just stay within the warranty window and you'll be fine.
  18. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
  19. jjmcpherson macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2013
    I'm in a similar situation with the OP. However, I bought a new Air from Apple store 4 days ago. The Apple guy told me to go back after Jun 10 and before June 16 to swap a new one. No fee, no question asked. He also promised to help me transfer all the data and apps to the new machine. He also said if I like to keep 2012 Air, I can ask for a refund, since the 2012 Air will drop the price. But, nah. I want to play with 2 new machines in a span of 10 days :apple:
  20. n1tut macrumors regular


    Nov 20, 2010
    Glen of Newmill, Keith, Scotland
    After a burglary, I have just received a new MBA 13" from the Insurance Company, would have liked to have waited until after the 10th, but had to take it now.

    Is it likely that my Apple Store would swap it for the 2013 even though it was not bought directly from the Store?


  21. B... macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2013
    Did you originally get it from the Apple Store? They might but probably not.
  22. notjustjay macrumors 603


    Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Depends on when you NEED to have a working computer in your hands.

    There's the announcement expected on June 10. Not 100% certain, but highly likely.

    When they announce it, they might say "available today" or they might say "available next month" -- we really don't know.

    If you can wait, at least hold out till June 10, and then make your decision based on what they announce.

    At the very least, when they announce the new product, the old ones tend to get discounted and go on clearance. So even if you elect not to buy a shiny new 2013 model, you can start shopping for better deals on the older ones.

    If you NEED a computer in the meantime, then you'll have to figure out what works best.
  23. tssguy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2013
    They say *may* be subject to a restocking fee. Funny story, but I've returned around $2,000 in different items in the past two weeks. My dad bought me a Windows laptop for graduation, but it was terribly balanced spec wise... so I took it back. No restocking fee. I swapped it out for a microsoft surface ($999 w/o tax) and a type cover ($140 w/ tax).. didn't like it, so I took it back a few days later. Bought the Mac. Will probably be doing the same.

    I'm not a fanboy either, but I've never really had any tech this soon after its launch. I feel that I may as well do it, since with the student discount I'll probably only pay a price difference of at most $50...

    Don't think there is one.. I'm a rewards zone blah whatever-the-****-it's-called member.

    You're right.

    I completely forgot that Rewards Zone Premium Silver extended the return date.. awesome!

    Good points. I don't really need anything right now, as I've got a desktop that I always use.

    I'm not surprised about that... don't see why the staff would care (especially since they're younger). Awesome!

    As I mentioned, I don't need anything till August/September.

    Thanks for all of the food for thought, everyone! Didn't expect so many replies.

Share This Page