Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Ive had my air for 15 days... I just love it.... however it has 2 issues:
1.- It does not lie flat... small gap between rubber feet and desk... can be fixed if I put a business card between the two... I know it will get fixed because I ordered a See thru case from speck.... so I guess Ill be ok

2.- Ambient light sensor just dont work as my MBP works... the darn thing keeps turning the keyboard light on when theres no actual need for that.

there´s no heating issues with it, no fan issues, no nothing, just those two things... Im a "prefectionist" (cuz im prefect :rolleyes:) and those two things kinda bother me...
I called apple cuz there are no apple stores in Laredo TX and they issued me a RMA and sent me some fedex stickers to send the computer back....
The real question is:

Would you guys return it and wait for a new one?

ceehjayem

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
If you're not completely happy with it, I'd return it. It's kind of an investment to not be completely happy with.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I'm rather a perfectionist as well but I probably wouldn't return it over those two simple issues. I have a MacBook and after it's in use for about half an hour the trackpad button makes a really obnoxious clicking sound, but I'm not going through the trouble of sending it back to get it fixed, then waiting god knows how long to get it back. But you say you have a MBP? So I'm assuming you aren't in dire need of a portable so in that case send it back if you're not happy/can live without an Air.

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keyboard light issue is probably your hands over the sensor.

thanks everyone for your responses... I do have 15 days to make my mind up.... So I will think about it....
About your suggestion greenmeanie, remember that the air's sensor is located beside the isight camera, making it practically impossible to cover the sensor with my hands

thanks everyone! I think Ill end up returning the computer....

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
thanks everyone for your responses... I do have 15 days to make my mind up.... So I will think about it....
About your suggestion greenmeanie, remember that the air's sensor is located beside the isight camera, making it practically impossible to cover the sensor with my hands

thanks everyone! I think Ill end up returning the computer....

I'd definitely return it - the light sensor not working properly is indicative of a faulty machine and I'd take the view that if there's something wrong with out of the box then it's more likely to develop more serious problems down the line.

Munich

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Dude, my mba was out of balance and I had flexed it on the opposite way and it worked like a charm, call me crazy, but it did fix it and I didn't have to return, also, on the light sensor, there is some fixes to it on this forum.:eek:

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Dude, my mba was out of balance and I had flexed it on the opposite way and it worked like a charm, call me crazy, but it did fix it and I didn't have to return, also, on the light sensor, there is some fixes to it on this forum.:eek:

yup, Ive tried them all and makes the sensor work for a few days.... after that it goes back to work on opposite world!

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
Me too...

The sensor drives me nuts especially when using in a dim room.

When I turned up the lights, it'll go to full brightness....(keyboard light)

But when I off the lights, the lights dim out....

Just not sure its a user or hardware problem....

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Issue 1: give it a slight bend with your hands...fixed mine and haven't had any issues with it. its a cast aluminum shell that is going to have flex from time to time. Hell, it might get tweaked in a full briefcase of messenger bag with weight on it.

Issue 2: i'd probably go genius bar on this one if you have a store in your area.

inVINCEcible2k3

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Brownsville F'kin Texas
ha im just down the road from ya in Brownsville , Texas. I just ordered a new MacBook Pro . Cost me both my nuts and then some but love it. Ordered a Speck product too but am now have second thoughts about it from reviews...and thats cause i haven't even received the product yet!

Best of luck to ya

RobbieG

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
This might be late but I guess you could very simply fix that problem installing Lab Tick, a small program that lets you control the light. Yo can find lab tick in the Apple site

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.