Should I return my base 15" for new 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMandy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Hi, I just bought a base 15" a week ago, so it's still in it's return period. I struggled to decide between 13 and 15, but settled on 15 for the higher RAM and processing power. I find that I only occasionally need the quad core when I do video encoding, and I have an external monitor. I'm just wondering if it's now worth getting the newer MPB 13" with updated Iris and processor instead and saving some money?

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

Same with me!

Except I just returned mine and got the 13 with price match (would rather save money than have the updates).

Portability was more so my issue with the 15..

3. ygys macrumors member

I would say go for the new 13"

mainly because of resale value... it will be much easier to sell broadwell (2015 laptop) than haswell (2013-2014) laptop

right now the iris and iris pro are on par ... only difference is the quad core processor... but you also have to take into account that single core application will run faster on 13" model

on 13" you get longer battery life and also the new trackpad and its smaller and lighter

I would say it is no brainer

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I want to keep it for 3 years and then pass it on to my son for University

6. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Just a quick update. I've decided to keep my refurb 2014 base 15" as I think it's far more powerful for my video encoding and I really like the 15" screen as it's my primary computer. The new 13" was enticing, but the money saved was not worth it in my opinion.