Should I return my base 15" Haswell rMBP for a.....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

So I currently have the base 15” Haswell rMBP. I have initially tried out the higher end model with the discrete graphics but eventually returned it for the base model. Processor wise, I believe that the 2.0 model meets my needs considering I only plan to do light video and photo editing. I don’t plan to play games on this unit. But what I noticed, starting up my Win7 session via Vmware already uses the whole 8GB of ram. I’m aware that Mavericks may handle RAM differently compared to the previous OSX but I don’t want to encounter any problems 2-3 years down the road. Also, I think that I will have better peace of mind with the 512GB SSD not having a need to use an external disk. I probably have 80gb of pictures alone. I would like to create Final Cut, iMovie, iPhoto, etc projects without worrying much about space being consumed.

Now that being said, will the extra $600 I have to pay will be worth just having a bigger SSD and 16GB of ram which I am actually after? And having the discrete graphics and processor upgrade included but not really a need for me.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and insights.

2. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

To add, I have a perfect LG screen that is pure white, no bleeding, or IR?

Don't want to play the display sweepstakes again :)

3. theyanman macrumors newbie

I think that if you don't want to have buyer's remorse then get the top end model. Even if the discrete video card and processor upgrade aren't important, the bigger SSD and RAM updates are and you might as well upgrade the whole thing to have piece of mind 2-3 years down the road.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Put the $600 in a bank. In a year or two, sell the Macbook Pro for a $600 loss, buy a new base model, and it'll likely have better specs than the updated version today.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

If you're hung up on the RAM/SSD, just return it and pay an extra $100 for an Ivy Bridge refurb! Problem solved.

6. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

So you had the high end model and then took it back and got the low end model? Now you are thinking about taking back the low end model and getting the high end model again?

I don't get that.

7. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I never knew you could return products so many times