Should I return my Blackbook for a new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jordan.S, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. Jordan.S macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    #1
    I recently purchased a Blackbook last friday and was wondering if it is actually worth the 150$ to get the new updated model using the Santa Rose chipset. How much performance bump would I actually see? Thoughts?
     
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #2
    I would. The $150 is a small price to for an upgrade that you will not be able to make in the future. In fact, if you return the blackbook and get a white one, you will come out ahead.
     
  3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

    Stampyhead

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2004
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    Does that include the restocking fee he'd have to pay bringing the old one back?
     
  4. esaleris macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    #4
    You're within the 14 day limit that Apple imposes, so there is no moral quandary. Go in and ask about your options, it's no problem.
     
  5. 1020 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    Wonderland
    #5
    There shouldn't be a restocking fee if you return it within 14 days of your purchase.
     
  6. Jordan.S thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    #6
    Thanks for the input. I bought it (BlackBook) when leopard was released.
     
  7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #7
    Not true...You can only return within the 14 day period, and there is a 10% restocking fee.. It's not like you can come back 6 months later, and because it's been over 14 days, still return, just pay a restocking fee.
     
  8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2007
    Location:
    Not where you live.
    #8
    Normally I don't think people should return a perfectly good working product for this reason. But it sounds like you bought it expecting to keep it.

    We've had people on here buy something because they wanted it *now* and knew the upgrade was coming, but wanted to return it once the upgrade was out. I don't agree with that.

    But in this case, the speed bump came out and no-one knew when it was going to emerge. So I'd say sure, go for it.

    Just one guy's opinion.

    Cheers.
     
  9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

    Mindflux

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2007
    Location:
    Austin
    #9
    These people are insane telling you to piss away 150 bucks for a chipset update.
     
  10. Jordan.S thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    #10
    Why do you feel that way?
     
  11. tingly macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    #11
    Unless you're doing something like editing video or running graphic-intensive games, you might see things happen a shade faster, not sure that's worth $150.
     
  12. Jordan.S thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    #12
    Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if I should buy some ram instead? Thoughts?
     
  13. Farani macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    #13
    If you OPEN the box there is a 10% restocking fee. If you want a little more graphics muscle than upgrade. There are pixel and vertex shaders with the X3100. Otherwise don't. If you want 4GB of ram and a little faster performance upgrade (800Mhz FSB with SR). Otherwise, take the $150 and buy 3 or 4GB of ram.

    edit: people should have comparisons of the new macbook with the old up soon (I'd expect at least). Wait and see what the performance gains are. You have until next friday to return it. So you have some time to wait it out yet.
     
  14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #14
    I would. Going from the GMA 950 to the GMA x3100 would be worth $150 to me.
     
  15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #15
    If you can afford it, I would. Better graphics, higher FSB, little speed bump, newest chipset.... just all around a little more future-proof. It also depends on what you do with the machine and how long you were planning on keeping it, though.
     

Share This Page