Should I return my Blackbook for a new one?

Jordan.S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I recently purchased a Blackbook last friday and was wondering if it is actually worth the 150$ to get the new updated model using the Santa Rose chipset. How much performance bump would I actually see? Thoughts?

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I would. The $150 is a small price to for an upgrade that you will not be able to make in the future. In fact, if you return the blackbook and get a white one, you will come out ahead.

Comment

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I would. The $150 is a small price to for an upgrade that you will not be able to make in the future. In fact, if you return the blackbook and get a white one, you will come out ahead.
Does that include the restocking fee he'd have to pay bringing the old one back?

Comment

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
You're within the 14 day limit that Apple imposes, so there is no moral quandary. Go in and ask about your options, it's no problem.

Comment

Jordan.S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Thanks for the input. I bought it (BlackBook) when leopard was released.

Comment

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
There shouldn't be a restocking fee if you return it within 14 days of your purchase.
Not true...You can only return within the 14 day period, and there is a 10% restocking fee.. It's not like you can come back 6 months later, and because it's been over 14 days, still return, just pay a restocking fee.

Comment

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Normally I don't think people should return a perfectly good working product for this reason. But it sounds like you bought it expecting to keep it.

We've had people on here buy something because they wanted it *now* and knew the upgrade was coming, but wanted to return it once the upgrade was out. I don't agree with that.

But in this case, the speed bump came out and no-one knew when it was going to emerge. So I'd say sure, go for it.

Just one guy's opinion.

Cheers.

Comment

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Unless you're doing something like editing video or running graphic-intensive games, you might see things happen a shade faster, not sure that's worth $150.

Comment

Jordan.S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Unless you're doing something like editing video or running graphic-intensive games, you might see things happen a shade faster, not sure that's worth $150.
Thanks for the response, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if I should buy some ram instead? Thoughts?

Comment

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
If you OPEN the box there is a 10% restocking fee. If you want a little more graphics muscle than upgrade. There are pixel and vertex shaders with the X3100. Otherwise don't. If you want 4GB of ram and a little faster performance upgrade (800Mhz FSB with SR). Otherwise, take the $150 and buy 3 or 4GB of ram.

edit: people should have comparisons of the new macbook with the old up soon (I'd expect at least). Wait and see what the performance gains are. You have until next friday to return it. So you have some time to wait it out yet.

Comment

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
If you can afford it, I would. Better graphics, higher FSB, little speed bump, newest chipset.... just all around a little more future-proof. It also depends on what you do with the machine and how long you were planning on keeping it, though.

Comment