Should I return my brand new iMac (came w/SL)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jertronic, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jertronic macrumors member

This is my first ever post here! I bought a new iMac on Thursday at an Apple Store. I was so pumped about getting my brand new iMac that I didn't think twice when the following unfolded:

Should I return this iMac for the most current device.

I am new to mac for so understand my naivety. The sales associate kindly opened and set up my iMac in the store. She made a comment about how she misses the start up theme for the snow leopard os. She brought me to the mac up to date web site and attempted to download Lion. My serial number wasn't entered into apples corporate system or whatever so I had to wait until later and try again from home. The box has the old purple aurora motif. The new packaging is the blue galaxy.

Even with the free download of Lion, which I have to wait 5-7 days to obtain the app code, I want the latest and greatest. I have waited all this time to finally purchase a Mac and I want it to be perfect. My serial number indicates that the iMac was manufactured in April 2011. This stinks given the fact that today is November 14. Should I go back in and demand a swap, or just return it and get a new one?

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I just got a new iMac also. I was bummed out that it wasn't Lion when I booted up. But I was glad because Lion atm has a lot of compatibility issues with Apps imo. Plus, having Snow Leopard as the first OS, I can downgrade in the future if I don't want Lion...at least here, I have a choice to upgrade or downgrade.

The download is easy to do...probably quicker than a swap. But if you really want Lion as your first OS, I don't see how it'll hurt you :)

Best of luck.

3. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

Having the option of 2 operating systems is something that I can get comfortable with. My concern lies more with the fact that mt new iMac is an April production machine and if there is any advantage to having a October-Nov (late 2011) iMac then I don't want to miss out.

Given the way in which I use the iMac performance won't be an issue. I needed to buy now since my old pc lap top **** the bed. I can't help scratching my head as to why I got an April iMac being that the purchase was made on November 10.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The only difference is the OS, keyboard and box. If you want the latest box and a keyboard where they changed one graphic to reflect Lion, then go for it. All depends how much the 2 physical changes are worth to you.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I'm assuming that they had some SL in stock at the Apple Store so they just gave it to you. I don't think there has been a refresh on the specs, so you are technically fine. Like the other posters stated the only difference is the box and the keyboard.
    I have a Late 2010 MBP 13" and i rarely use the two keyboard specific changes [dashboard + expose --> launchpad and mission control]. I just use gestures on the trackpad.,

However, this ultimately is your decision. If you are not comfortable with this, then you definitely should go and change it. You paid about a thousand bucks, and if you are not satisfied with the product you should definitely request for a swap/new one

i looked everywhere and i don't think that the iMac's had a recent refresh in specs, so you are definitely okay as far as specs go! The installation of Lion is really basic, and in the mean time you can get used to the OS. But hte ultimate decision on how comfortable you are with it.
    Either way, YOU should be happy and satisfied and all of that stuff :D

6. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

I just looked at my keyboard, lo and behold, they gave me the new model with the Lion keys. So, after letting my anxiety simmer down I can now breath and enjoy my new iMac. I plan on keeping this machine. So I have the old "aurora" box....who cares. Thanks to those who eased my concerns with helpful facts.

If the Lion OS upgrade had been instantaneous, rather than waiting days to receive the app code for download, the buying experience would have been a bit brighter. Each person that I spoke with and dealt with at the store, or by phone were above average.

Leave it to the smiley stock person who brought out the "old" merchandise to the sales floor. Even though I don't sound "over it" I am genuinely psyched with my purchase. Now I can get back to migrating my files to the new iMac. Luckily, I bought a sony HDD camcorder when my son was born 5 years ago. His entire life will soon be on my new computer and I get to play around with imovie. Funsies.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Congrats on your new iMac! Glad you decided to keep it. BTW, when you download Lion, BEFORE you install it, I suggest you "back up" the app by copying it to a usb stick or external HDD. This way you can make your own recovery USB or reinstall it in the future without sitting through a 3+ gig download.

8. SYCAMOREGRAD macrumors newbie

SYCAMOREGRAD

Aren't you missing out on the thunderbolt peripheral with that early of a model??:confused:

9. jertronic thread starter macrumors member

Other than the fact that SL came pre-installed, and the box has the aurora on it, the computer seems to be the new model. The keyboard has the Lion buttons and there is a thunderbolt port on the back.

God forbid I ever need to re-format the hard drive, the only drawback to this machine is that I will be starting with SL as the OS. And, I have the app code to upgrade to Lion at anytime.

Supposedly, apple hasn't released at "late 2011" iMac. Or, if apple has then they are not calling it such.

10. iRCL macrumors 6502

11. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Selling an iMac produced in April in November?

Apple must have overstocked on iMacs.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

I bought my iMac in late September - manufactured in March. I can't believe that anyone could be the slightest bit upset about this.

You get the option of dual booting Snow Leopard and Lion. Handy if the app or game you have to hand relies on Rosetta.