Should I Return My iMac For Another One?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Snowydove, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Snowydove macrumors newbie

I just purchased (on sale at Best Buy) a 21.5 inch iMac about a week ago. I have been using it and enjoying it tremendously; however, tonight for the first time while I was cleaning the front glass of my iMac, I looked carefully and saw a large smudged area UNDERNEATH the glass on the bottom front! :eek: I didn't see this before as I have been using it in my bedroom with subdued lighting. I know that I have 30 days to return/exchange it at Best Buy, but I've already put extra RAM in and moved over files from my PC and customized it. What do you think I should do...should I return it for another one and hope that one doesn't have any flaws or just keep this one and try to remove the glass and clean behind it? I'd really like to get the opinion of others here, especially if you have taken the glass off to clean it before and can tell me how difficult that is.

Thanks,
    Paulette

2. rkaufmann87, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Back it up using Time Machine or create a bootable clone using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and then return it. When you get the new one use Setup Assistant to restore from your backup. If you aren't familiar with Setup Assistant it's what starts when your first turn on a new Mac. Here is a guide that will help explain how to use Setup Assistant and restore from a backup:

http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/SetupLion.html

3. kditty macrumors newbie

My iMac is doing this same thing, I bought it at Best Buy around June or July. I'm Not even sure if I'm covered for anything but a few weeks ago this brown ugly 'burn' appeared, it happened after my 1 month return with BB, so is it covered by any sort of warranty or apple care? (I didn't purchase the geek squad package since my computer was already up in the 1700$ range).

This looks like someone with dirty fingers grabbed the inside of my screen. Who should I call about this? That's where I am stumped. Do I call BB or Apple, and would I have to send it to Apple to get it repaired?

Any help would be great, thanks - kyle