Should I return my iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Last week I got a 20" iMac. 2ghz Core Duo, 512mb ram, etc. for $1210 cdn

Then my parents got some RAM for it, 1GB for $100.

I still need a laptop for University but I have $904 store credit at an Apple retailer. So I am gonna get an Macbook (no student discount :( )

So, its gonna be ($1210 + $100 + $1250) x 1.13 (for tax) - $904 = $1988.

But with new iMacs soon (hopefully) and rumors of a price drop since they will be ditching the 17" model I was thinking of returning the iMac and buying a refurbb/student discount macbook with my cash and using the store credit to get an iMac.

So say $1500 cdn for the iMac, $1150 for my macbook (after student discount, they have no refurb ones right now :( ).

Thats ($1500 + $1150) x 1.13 - $904 = $2090.

So if I returned my iMac and bought from Apple/my university for $100 more I would get the same laptop (or even less if I can find a refurb one, or an older model in some other store) and the brand new iMac or a discounted older model when they clear them out to make room for the new one.

Its a little confusing :eek: but I think it would be better in the end since the new iMacs are likely to mirror the MBP's that came out which are quite a bit more beefy than my current Core Duo iMac.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

of course it would be better to wait.

if anything apple's are getting cheaper, not more expensive and if you don't need the iMac now or two computer then you should wait, it also depends on if you really need an iMac or if you could just get a macbook or macbook pro to fill both of your needs.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I would LOVE a MBP but I have others in the house who need a computer. Plus I like having a desktop since all my Apple laptops seem to need repairs at some point in their life and no computer during school term sucks big time.

I just need a computer now. I figure on getting the laptop now, since I don't really care if I get the new macbook or the old, and waiting on the iMac till they get released later this month or into the next.