Should I return my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonR, Aug 25, 2010.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

First, this is NOT a hate thread. I love my iPhone 4. However, my phone seems to have reception almost no where. I bought it on launch day, and have minor issues with it. Should I return it and try my luck with a new one? If I do return it, will I get a new or refurbished phone? It's a Black 32 GB, and I do have the Apple Bumper.

Fast answers appreciated!

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Your gonna get a refurb, which are in excellent shape and condition. The parts are even more tweaked for maximum performance.

Keep the bumper.. And your gonna get a black 32gb. best part is youll probably be able to order another free case since your gonna have a new serial # now :)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

First question is whether you know anyone with an iphone4 who uses theirs in the same areas you use yours, and do they have the same problems? If there's no difference, then it's a toss-up as to whether you'd see a difference -- and also it might make it more difficult to make a case for a replacement. Otherwise, if there's a demonstrable difference you'd be better off to make the swap.

4. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

What does your coverage map look like in your area? Go into AT&T and have them give you a new sim card. (this worked for my 3G and gave me better reception.)

Try restoring as new or resetting network settings.

I was travelling along the coast line in CA yesterday and was shocked how many area's have terrible 0-1 bar coverage... Good thing I don't travel a lot anymore or I'd be pissed that I left Verizon.

5. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

san diego all the way up to Sacramento

I've driven and the only area that had 1-2 bars was the grapevine area

OP where do you live ?

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Return

7. mrathee macrumors 6502

+1

I suggest doing this as well. The coverage map should give you insight and if you SHOULD be getting service, try the new sim

8. anon.ymous macrumors member

If you purchased in on launch day, then you won't be able to return it as the 30 day return period has already expired. Apple MAY make an exception for you, but I doubt it. If the phone is giving you grief, take it to the genius bar - they're well equipped to diagnose any problems there might be with the antenna, etc. Or if it still is a pain, jailbreak/unlock it and sell it and get a new phone with an early upgrade. You'll still probably come out ahead, money wise.

9. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I meant I'd take it to the genius bar.

Any idea when I can get an early upgrade?

And I'm in California...San Luis Obispo and Sacramento area. Service generally sucks and is at 1 bar pretty often.

Oh yeah the phone won't restore now...wonderful. LOL

10. anon.ymous macrumors member

ah! then yes, def go to the genius bar.

and you should be able to do an early upgrade immediately unless you used it already to purchase the current phone. you can always check it by dialing *639# from your iphone.