Should I return my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adelphos33, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

After several years of having old hardware, I upgraded by Apple hardware last week - I bought an iPad Pro (128MG) and a Macbook Pro (8GB Ram, 256 GB). I was replacing an iPad Mini and a Macbook Pro from 2011 (4GB Ram, 128GB).

Since then, I've really enjoyed the iPad pro but literally have not set up the Macbook pro. I use my Macbook as essentially a port for my iPhone an iPad, a window to log in remotely to work occasionally (Windows work machine), to store and organize files, for some work while traveling, etc. The iPad pro is used for content consumption, doing personal stuff (finances, errands, etc), downloading work documents, etc. I also installed some work software on the iPad.

The issue is that I spent about $3,000 on this new hardware and I feel like I can get away with spending $2,000. The iPad ins't the issue, the Macbook is. I need a Macbook with a good screen, USB ports, decent storage and decent performance that can last 5 years. Do I need a $1,499 Macbook Pro or can I get away with say a refurbished Air with 8GB ram?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

If your looking for longevity I would stick with the pro imo. Specs are better so you'll squeeze more out of it

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

With such light usage, any mac made in the last 5 years is plenty powerful for your needs. Pick whatever you like.

4. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

You won't get 5+ years out of a Macbook Pro with only 8GB of RAM. Return it.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The OP doesn't need a high end computer. For their usage 8GB is fine.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have used my iPad for a lot of tasks I used to use my laptop for. While I use it less, I still need its power and capabilities. As long as it has a SSD I'm happy with most any Mac made in the last 5 years. You might consider returning the MBP and picking up a refurb or used one that meets your needs and costs a lot less.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Grab a refurbished MacBook Pro. Best of both worlds.

8. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I suppose there's no point asking why you bought something you didn't want or need. If I ever I open any kind of shop you're banned from it.

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Good screen and Air don't go together.
    If I were you, I would keep the MBP you just bought.

10. Adelphos33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just set up the MBP. I will keep it. I like running it side by side with the IPP. Screen is outstanding, keyboard is great. These MBPs may be the last real laptops Apple makes for a while (not fan of RMB keyboard, lack of ports, etc).

8 GM RAM should last 4-5 years at least. 16 GB is probably overkill.