should i return my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purpletacoz, May 10, 2012.

1. purpletacoz macrumors newbie

so i barely got my macbook on saturday and I'm still in the return window. should i return it and wait it out for the new macbook on june??

2. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

3. simsaladimbamba

That is something only you can answer, as it depends on your computational needs and if they are satisfied with your current setup.
    I guess you don't need that computer now and the current MacBook Pro does not satisfy your computational needs? If so, return it and wait till the new ones come out.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If your MBP is currently meeting your needs then it will continue to do so after the rumored refresh. Just because a model is refreshed it doesn't render yours obsolete. The performance jump to ivy bridge is supposed to be something like 5-10% so its not that big, the real difference will be the HD 4000 in the 13 and the form factor. If you use the ODD then I would keep your current machine as the new ones will likely ditch it.

5. purpletacoz thread starter macrumors newbie

really? 5-10%? i thought it was supposed to make it like 30-40... well I'm mean the intel HD4000 is still integrated so its not really going to make it a gaming rig. and i do use the ODD quite a lot.

6. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Return it, worse case scenario when the new one launches and you decide you do not like it for any reason, you can at least buy the model you have now at a discounted price i bet since it will be an older model.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

The 30-40 is GPU. Medic278's numbers are correct, the IvyBridge is really only a die shrunk Sandy Bridge which decreases power draw and gives a slight performance bump. The 3000 to 4000 GPU on-chip is where the performance comes from, as given the fact that laptop makers don't also have to power a secondary GPU to achieve better performance they can make large gains in battery longevity and at the same time increase overall performance.

As anything Apple tho, it's still no gaming rig, and APL has a sad history of not using cutting edge graphics.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you happy with it? If so, why return it?

If you're not happy with it, what makes you think you would be content with the next release? ;)

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

If you seriously cant make this decission on your own your in trouble when you have to make a real decission in life.

10. abhinav7333 macrumors member

It depends. I just bought 17 inch early 2011 for $1689. And it works perfect. Upgraded the ram and put a 512gb sad. If you bought a non sale item, return it. But if you got a cheap one, I won't.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, if you can live without a laptop for a month (or two) then return it and wait for the Ivy Bridge model.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why didn't you think about this before buying it? Keep it, use it and don't worry about when the next one will be released. There will always be new products but unless you're a Rockefeller you'll drive yourself crazy.

13. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I agree with the above poster. I just bought an MBP13 only to discover there is to be a new iteration very soon. Mine is a new 2011 - how bad can that be? One thing about Apple, the hardware is sturdy and the software is updated with every development for years to come. I actually LIKE my MBP, especially since I'm wondering if the next generation will have an optical drive. This still comes in very handy for me.

14. Liquinn Suspended

I did this too, there will always be something newer around the corner. I bought mine a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. :apple:

15. ken94538 macrumors member

Return it.
    New MacBook pro will be faster, cheaper, and more beautiful.

16. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Best advice for a new *Mac purchase: keep off the various rumor websites until you are ready to purchase again.

* pretty much applies to any tech purchase