Should I return my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojopixel, Feb 14, 2008.

?

Should I return my Macbook

1. Return the MacBook and get a Desktop computer

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Stick with the MacBook and use an ethernet connection

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I've just bought a refurbished Macbook and it has a problem connecting wirelessly to the internet when I am downstairs so I have to have it pretty much in the same room as the router to get a decent internet connection.

I'm considering returning it and getting something else like a iMac or something because what's the point of having a laptop that doesn't connect to the internet properly? Do you guys think I should return it and get a desktop like an iMac or a MacPro and then get a MacBook later on in the year when Apple, fingers crossed, sort out the Airport Express issues with Leopard?

cheers,

mp :(

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

What makes you think it's the computer, and not the router/signal strength, or the type of materials in the walls / floor between the rooms? :confused:

3. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I know it's the computer because my 2 year old Toshiba laptop connects to my router with 4 out of 5 bars signal strength every signal time I use it! My Macbook, however, connects sometimes, drops the signal occasionally, has full signal strength sometimes and sometimes has no signal at all! I didn't spend all of this hard-earned money for "sometimes connectivity", I was expecting a machine that connects properly all of the time :(

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You haven't said anything about what you've done so far to address the problem. I guess my answer to the question in the title of this thread, would be that I wouldn't consider doing something so drastic until I'd exhausted the reasonable steps one should take to try to fix the problem. If I returned my computer every time there was some bug that needed to be fixed, I'd have been through a lot of computers by now. :p I assume you've asked elsewhere on the forum for help to fix the issue? Someone might have something helpful to say.

But to answer your question, if I had a problem I couldn't fix, even after doing everything I could to find an answer, and the problem was something that directly affected my ability to use the computer as I wanted to, then yeah, I'd consider returning the computer.

5. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

yep, I called Apple. They said download the update. I did that. It worked for a while but then went back to dropping the signal. Bear in mind I got this computer on tuesday!

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Leopard has known Airport issues. I doubt this is peculiar to your Macbook.

Still waiting for a fix.

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

Try calling :apple: again. Do you live by an apple store? If yes bring it to them so they can take a look.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you want to have a mobile computer, then I would take it in to the apple store, and have them take alook. That will give you chance to try it out on another network, and see how it functions there.

It should have a full factory warranty, so if there is a MacBook issue, they should be able to get it working. It does seem like some people have issues with their MacBooks, but alot of people don't. I have two that work great.

That said, if you don't want to hassle with having them work on it, then get an iMac - they are great machines too.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this is probably the real problem. But, who can rule out a hardware problem when the machine is refurbished?

Thats why I never recommend refurbished apple products.

OP should have 1 year warranty, and next OSX upgrade 10.5.3 won't be out for another 3 months.

Its just such a hassle.

Honestly I have no recommendations at this stage. You can return it, ask for replacement (good luck), or just wait another 3 month with this problem.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can't rule out a hardware problem when the machine is new, either. Every single MBP that came with a yellow LCD was originally, by definition, a new computer.

Anyway, to the OP, this is almost certainly a Leopard issue. If you feel like waiting for Apple to debug the OS, tough it out. If you don't, get the iMac. You already have a laptop...

11. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

can someone please remind me how long I have to return my Macbook? is it within 7 days or within 14 days?

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What kind (make/model) of router? What kind of encryption?

13. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

is that 14 working days or is that 14, em, normal days?

14. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

It's a 2.2 SR Macbook refurb and I use a speedtouch router with WPA encryption

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You've tried disabling encryption, changing wireless channels, updated firmware, and all that other wireless AP troubleshooting kind of stuff? I know you are quick to blame the MB because your PC works, but the reality is your router could be at fault too. I'd suggest a different router, since I am not a fan of the combined modem/router/wireless AP devices - but that's just me.

16. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I got this Macbook on tuesday! I don't want to have to buy another router on the off chance that it might change my situation. I thought the whole thing with macs was that "they just work", that's why I bought this Macbook in the first place.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Calendar days.

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

stop wasting time to even ask everyone here. Take it to the apple store, ask them to see if there's any problems with it. If they can connect to their wifi network in the store without dropping for a x number of minutes/hours, then its obvious your router has issues.

19. AndyFL macrumors regular

Righto. Macs always "just work" -- so, if yours didn't, take it back!