Should I return my MBP? I need your suggestions, people! :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portishead12, May 17, 2012.

1. portishead12 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I bought a 15.4' MBP at Best Buy 29 days ago. i got the one which i believe is 2.2GHZ. i bought it because my Toshiba had died after i spilled liquid on it. two weeks ago the toshiba randomly started to work again, but i figured i'd keep the macbook anyway because i love it.

then i just saw the announcement of the Macbook Pro refreshes next month and how improved they will be. the slight increases in speed isn't a huge deal to me, but the idea of a super HD screen is a big deal for me.

best buy gives 30 days for a full refund, so i basically have until tomorrow to make up my mind in terms of whether i should return my current MBP and put that money towards the newer one.

i was told the newer version may initially be more expensive than the one i bought (it was on sale for about $1750) but I have a friend at apple who might be willing to help me out with an employee discount on the new one, too. so it'd probably end up being about the same price.

right now the main issue i have is:

- i selfishly don't want to have to wait another month or so since i'm loving my macbook;
    - i installed a lot of software, set preferences, etc. - all of which took a lot of time - and part of me just doesn't want to have to re-do all of that again. i know that's a very silly reason to keep my laptop but i have to admit i'm lazy sometimes.

i guess what i'm looking for is input from other people. i'm new to macbooks and don't know how the refreshes typically work, whether the first model may be less reliable or what-have-you. if i were in YOUR shoes, what would you do? keep the current one or return it tomorrow and hold out for the newer one?

any suggestions or advice would be welcomed! i'm freakin' out here! :D

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Return it. The new ones will be out in a month or two.

Time Machine it first, you can easily restore to your new MBP.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Are you sure the return policy isn't 14 days? I think you have to be a platinum rewards member at BestBuy to have the extended return policy.

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Find out what the last day to return the computer. Keep it until the last day and then return it.

Maybe the new one's will be out by then.

5. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

6. portishead12 thread starter macrumors newbie

the back of my receipt says 30 days. do you know something i don't? does it not apply to apple products?

----------

i did when i bought it, but then my toshiba started working again after about three weeks of being completely dead.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It's 30 days unless you are a Reward Zone silver member....then it's 45.

8. user418, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

No one can say definitely when the new ones will be released despite all the new rumors this week. The general consensus is sooner rather than later. If you have a viable alternative to use in the mean time and the MBP is not mission critical I say return it. However, I would use CCC to make a bootable clone before doing so.

Probably understood without saying but don't forget to wipe the HDD before returning.

9. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I'd definitely return it, unless you think the features on the one you have now are too amazing to take back I'd save myself from the possible guilt in a months time when the new one is released. If your thinking you may regret your purchase now while your having fun with it, imagine how you will feel when the novelty has worn off and the new one is released!

10. nnokey macrumors newbie

Easy...return it and buy a mbp in different bestbuy or same one. Use for another month and return it... Until new one comes out...Lol

11. kaielement macrumors 65816

I used to work for Best Buy until January of this year and I believe for the computers it's 14 days but I would double check because it's an apple product and they follow a different guideline for some of the apple products.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you need it now, keep it. If you can live without it for a few weeks, then return it.

Rumor has the new laptops being unveiled at WWDC which is a few weeks away.

13. portishead12 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i returned my MBP this evening and explained my situation and they were fine with it. got a refund. i already miss it but hopefully those new ones come out soon enough! :D

thanks for all the advice guys.

i didn't wipe the hard drive because i know that's one of the first things they do at best buy when you return something. they check to make sure it's functional then use a program to wipe everything. however, i did delete all my documents and some of the programs i had installed just to be safe. i think i left my windows 7 parallel installation on it though - kinda forgot to remove that...but i'm pretty sure they just wipe 'em clean and sell them open-box when people return them.

14. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

The best way to do it is return it and get another Mac for now until the new one comes out :D
    I know this is quite cheeky but well this is the best solution for you :)

15. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

...and this is one of the contributing reasons brick/mortar stores are starting to fail.

Sorry for the off topic post, but needs to be said when this advice is given. None of us really 'love' Best Buy, but we are going to lose places that give the ability to touch/play with toys and satisfy our instant gratification needs.

Rant over.

Nothing to say to OP since he already made the decision; hopefully the wait won't be long! :)

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Places like Best Buy aren't making the majority of their money from retail sales anymore. Best Buy today is nothing more than a credit company with a small electronics division.

17. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Guess I'm just too cynical and untrusting. Too much fraud and identity theft going on these days. Doesn't take long to erase via disk utility. Anyway, glad things worked out ok for you. Enjoy the "new MBP".

18. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

I recently bought a 2009 Unibody, to try it out, not bad though some things I like and dont like. I would suggest you keep it, mine has user wear but I still see the resale value really high.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Keep it. Otherwise it's likely you'll be sorry. The first year of a major upgrade is to be avoided, unless you don't mind dealing with various issues. The year after, Apple will have it sorted out and doing well. That's the pattern. I've been there, I know. :)

20. portishead12, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

portishead12 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'd feel a bit wrong doing this, but even if i didn't - i'm pretty sure best buy red flags you after a couple times. they swipe your ID when you return stuff. if i kept buying more laptops i'm sure eventually they'd refuse my return.

before i bought the macbook i got a samsung chronos 7, had it for about a week and returned it - the wi-fi signal was absolutely terrible, the trackpad was faulty and i was getting the blue screen of death fairly often. it was otherwise a fantastic machine - insanely fast with 8GB RAM and i7 - but the issues were too big for me to just ignore, especially for the $1,000 price tag. (when i googled my specific issues, they seemed fairly widespread, which didn't give me faith in exchanging it for another of the same kind.) i returned that and then bought the macbook with the credit.

i'm assuming if i bought another laptop and tried to return it this might show up in their system and they'd think i was trying to rip them off. maybe not. but i don't want to risk it - and even though it's a big retail company some part of me does feel guilty returning products like that.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I only want to mention that liquid damage doesn't go away. While it turns on now, it could have long term issues. Of course you'll probably be fine until the refresh if you do decide to return the MBP.

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tim Cook will find displeasure if you decided to return it!

23. jbzcar macrumors regular

Yup, and also there is very little mark-up on computers of any kind there. They make their money off the accessories and "service plans". ;)

<-- Also used to work @ BBY.