Should I return my MBP? Or will these problems work themselves out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FuNyuN, Nov 7, 2013.

1. FuNyuN macrumors member

I am having 2 problems so far after receiving my Late 2013 15 inch rMBP. The first is that it often makes a cracking noise when I'm typing on it or apply any amount of pressure whatsoever. The unibody feels much weaker than my 2010 model so maybe this is the case with all of the newer MBPs? Or maybe once it's broken in, this won't happen anymore or atleast not as often?

My second problem is that when I go to sleep, I don't shut my computer down. I rather close it and expect it to do what my 2010 MBP does (resume where I left off when I wake up and open it). But what happens is my MBP tries to restart while it's shut. It wakes me up numorous times during the night with the apple ding you hear while starting up your computer. And my computer is always hot when I wake up as if it hasn't stopped running.

So, are these problems normal for the newer MBPs? If so, will they eventually work themselves out? Or do I have a defective unit? Thanks for any help.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Agree. The restarting could be some software you have installed, but the creaking is definitely an issue that calls for a return in my opinion.

4. FuNyuN thread starter macrumors member

I just googled the creaking and it seems like a ton of people are having this issue. I found a fix that involves removing the bottom and tightening 2 screws. But does that void the warranty?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it does not automatically void your warranty, but if you took it in for repair and they see you have opened it up, it may prompt Apple to look more closely to see if you have messed up something in there.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've had two Haswell 15" rMBP so far and neither had the creaking at all and felt very solid. So it's definitely not normal.

And the fact yours is restarting when it's in sleep mode indicates it has some other hardware issue. Call Apple and get it replaced or serviced.

7. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Enjoy your cash, save it!

Once you have a problem with these hunks of metal, they DO NOT work themselves out. Get your money back, save it, do something great for the community, wait till late Oct.2014 at the very least and see if things have really improved. If we still have cheap oil that is.

Good luck!