Should i return my MBP?

mediaprodguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
93
7
So we all are pretty much eager and are awaiting a MBP update. Many of you are holding out to buy a new one. I need some advice.

So, I was pushed in a corner and NEEDED to buy a notebook. I am a Media Production Major, and of course, needed to get a MBP for what the heavy usage.....

Today is my "14th" day, the final day I can return/exhange the machine..... My worry is...

1) The update is either today, or next week....
2) Is the update truely all that much worth it?
3) Should I return mine today, and just say "screw it?"
4) Should I make up some reason and "exchange it" so that I get a newly dated receipt, new machine etc?


Please advise fellow mac friends!
 

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
721
0
Just keep the one you have now. It's a wonderful laptop as it is and you probably won't notice much of a change from the new ones anyway (unless they radically redesign the enclosure, maybe).
 

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
587
0
NYC
I think you'll drive yourself nuts going down this path. That said, if you can be bothered to spend the time to do this (and what, do it again in two weeks if it comes to that...?), it just might work.

The question is, will they give you a cash refund and then let you buy a new machine? If they just give you credit, you may lose the right to return you NEXT laptop in 14 days. Stores REALLY do everything they can to discourage this serial return sort of behavior... I can't think Apple would be all that different.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Do you need that extra 10% in performance? Since like you said you needed it and didn't choose to wait, perhaps then the decision has already been made for you.

I don't think Apple accepts open boxed returns btw. You will probably have to pay a restocking fee on that if they agree to take it back.
 

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
61
0
Madrid, Spain
mediaprodguy said:
So we all are pretty much eager and are awaiting a MBP update. Many of you are holding out to buy a new one. I need some advice.

So, I was pushed in a corner and NEEDED to buy a notebook. I am a Media Production Major, and of course, needed to get a MBP for what the heavy usage.....

Today is my "14th" day, the final day I can return/exhange the machine..... My worry is...

1) The update is either today, or next week....
2) Is the update truely all that much worth it?
3) Should I return mine today, and just say "screw it?"
4) Should I make up some reason and "exchange it" so that I get a newly dated receipt, new machine etc?


Please advise fellow mac friends!
Can't you see the mouse trap? When you get your MBP returned and get your new MBP C2D probably you will be thinking of waiting for Santa Rosa or just sending it for return again...

Why don't you just enjoy your EXCELLENT machine and forget about upgrading all the time and, overall, READING THIS KIND OF THREADS... otherwise all what you'll get is a perpetual frustration.

It's quite amazing how this industry giants get everybody stuck on the screen just willing to spend a big money in their products... that's power!!!

Cheers,
 

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
115
0
Oxford, England
I think in the long run you'll be just as happy if not happier with keeping your current MBP. It wouldn't be worth losing the money on the restocking fee.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
hush said:
It's quite amazing how this industry giants get everybody stuck on the screen just willing to spend a big money in their products... that's power!!!

Cheers,
What's even more amazing is getting people paying yesterday's price for yesterday's goods... today!

Sorry to mediaprodguy, didn't mean to poke you, just responding to hush's point about how sheepish the waiters are in all of this. Hey, at least we have the minds enough to wait ;)
 

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
61
0
Madrid, Spain
generik said:
What's even more amazing is getting people paying yesterday's price for yesterday's goods... today!

Sorry to mediaprodguy, didn't mean to poke you, just responding to hush's point about how sheepish the waiters are in all of this. Hey, at least we have the minds enough to wait ;)
Well, it was just my opinion... obviously it's up to you, your money and your common sense to do what you want.

Anyway, I can't see the point of having the latest thing... it seems that you don't care even the very thing you get.

Good luck with your latest equipment (it will be new around a couple of weeks :)).

Regards,
 

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
314
0
Post Falls, ID
You get 14 days from receiving your product to get an RMA and then another 14 days to get it back to Apple. That is 28 days room. You may have to pay a 10% restocking fee.
See here
If it is a custom configured item, they may not take it at all...
 

Surf and Turf

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2006
104
0
In my mind
You may as well keep it as seeing from the other threads taht the mbp will most likeky get updated to the santa claus architecture. there will always be something better to wait for.
 

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
61
0
Madrid, Spain
Surf and Turf said:
You may as well keep it as seeing from the other threads taht the mbp will most likeky get updated to the santa claus architecture. there will always be something better to wait for.
Isn't that Santa Claus chipset that one of 128 bits? Yup, I heard of it somewhere, dude.

:D
 

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
513
5
London, UK
Open it, keep it, use it, delete macrumors from your bookmarks, run away and never look back. Oh how I wish I had just bought my MBP back in July before finding the cursed words "Don't Buy - Updates soon". Has been so long now I point blank refuse to update until something changes in order to somehow justify the waiting and the time without a MBP.
 

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
61
0
Madrid, Spain
Foggy said:
Open it, keep it, use it, delete macrumors from your bookmarks, run away and never look back. Oh how I wish I had just bought my MBP back in July before finding the cursed words "Don't Buy - Updates soon". Has been so long now I point blank refuse to update until something changes in order to somehow justify the waiting and the time without a MBP.
I think most people has got some lessons learnt from all of this... that's one of those lessons.

Some other people think they're going to stop this infinite loop with C2D MBP... probably they will be moaning about Santa Rosa, Santa Claus or what they f****** want to release in a couple of months.

Just try to be happy and not too much frustrated.