Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I got my 23" ACD today. So far everything is good. Looks great, no dead/stuck pixels. No image persistance.

But, the backlight is bleeding something nasty. I know it is only noticable on a black background, but when I popped in a widescreen DVD, it was awful and distracting. I would say 40% of the edges are affected by the bleed.

I am pondering returning it for a new one. What do you think?

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
suneohair said:
I ordered a 23" ACD at 3:15 CST. It was shipped out at 9:07 this evening with an estimated delivery of the 20th (tomorrow!) Fedex says the 21st. Boo.

They are basically throwing these things out the door! Sorry for the useless post I am just happy!

Damn. I wish my Mac mini's shipment was that fast. But noooo, Apple had to have me wait 5 days before shipping. Lol. We're happy for you too.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
PowerMike G5 said:
congrats!

Yeah I will hooking it up to my Mac Pro that has been sitting for nearly 2 weeks.

Yours is better than mine though.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
So I got my ACD today. Havent hooked it up yet. Have to wait til I get off work.

However I decided to see if it was the new spec'd model. I went to this site.
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

It tells me this:
Production year: 2006
Production week: 31 (August)
Production number: 5913 (within this week)

Now I would assume this means I got a new one. However, when I pop it into the AppleCare checker on the support site it tells me this:

Cinema Display (23-inch DVI Late 2005)

How can it be late 2005? Is it an error in their system maybe?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
suneohair said:
So I got my ACD today. Havent hooked it up yet. Have to wait til I get off work.

However I decided to see if it was the new spec'd model. I went to this site.
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

It tells me this:
Production week: 31 (August)
Production number: 5913 (within this week)

Now I would assume this means I got a new one. However, when I pop it into the AppleCare checker on the support site it tells me this:

Mine arrived today from Elk Grove facility which is about 30 miles from where I live. Of course, it was manufactured in China and I suppose it takes a few weeks/months to bulk freight them from there. Who knows?

My best guess is that our ACD's are the current models. At least mine smells new! :D

Here's my info from chipmunk. I can't check it at Applecare because I don't have it (yet).

Production week: 32 (August)
Production number: 1506 (within this week)

I also found this post on a forum:

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/

The production date that Apple gives in the serialnumber (and as spat out by our site: http://www.chipmunk.nl) is not the real production date but the estimated date of arrival in the US. So if the machines normally take 2 weeks om a boat then they are dated two weeks into the future. Sometimes they ship extra fast and these machines then catch up with themselves and are born premature...

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I just got my unit deemed DOA because of Image Persistency.

They are shipping out a new one with a return label.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
suneohair said:

That is the model description, not the mfgr date. They were last revised (I guess) in Late 2005, so that is what they are called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.