Should I return my new iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eloro, Dec 27, 2010.

1. eloro macrumors newbie

So, I had heard some rumors that the "iPhone 5" was due to be release earlier than Apple's usual Summer release. I had a 3GS that still worked fine. Its battery has a little harder time holding a charge, and the back is cracked right on the area where the sync cable plugs in, but all in all it works ok. So, I received an iPhone 4 as a Christmas present, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the thing. It just feels so much better than the old 3GS, not just because it is new... it just feels sturdier. I have already ordered an expensive case for it and everything. But then a friend of mine told me that instead of the June release, the new iPhone may be released as soon as January! Now I love the iPhone 4, but if a new one is due to be released in less than a month for basically the same price (most likely) then I would rather be patient and stick with my 3GS for now. I'm pretty sure AT&T allows me 30 days to return the iPhone 4 (not positive on the return policy). But what would you guys do in my situation? I don't want to end up feeling like I have a second class iPhone only a few months into owning it... but I also don't want to have to take back my great iPhone if the new iPhone 5 won't be released for a while (over a year). I do remember something from Steve Jobs Summer keynote that said something to the effect of "I think this will set the standard for a while." Or something like that... so anyway... opinions?

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i really doubt a new one releasing half way through the year

3. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

They are always released half way through the year, every June. This June will be no different, with the iPhone 5 coming out. But with "Honeycomb" Android 3.0 coming out in spring, who cares about iPhone 4, it is pretty outdated, and will be even more so once Android 3.0 is released.

4. John01021988 macrumors 6502

What might happen in January is that Apple MIGHT announce that Verizon will be selling the iPhone as well (Just a rumor). The next gen iPhone will be announced more likely in June, but to be honest, no one knows when the next iPhone will be released

5. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I love OCD threads like this one.

Return it, go buy a motorola flip phone and stick to it.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Apple increased the number of units of iPhone 4gs being produced to maybe 21 million (maybe? I read it on the macrumors news earlier... feel free to correct me. ANYWAYS, there was an increase) so they will obviously not be bringing out the iPhone 5g in January and it will most likely be released in the summer. If you would buy the iPhone 5g in the summer I would say, yes return it.

8. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

your friend has got his rumours wrong.

the iPhone 4 may be coming to Verizon in January, not a new iPhone.

and even that is just a rumour

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

you already have a working 3gs so i'd return and wait 6 months for the new one. if you didn't have an iphone, that'd be a different story...

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

It was a Christmas gift. Enjoy it, appreciate it and be thankful to whoever cared enough to give you such a sweet gift.

11. eloro thread starter macrumors newbie

I just hate how they have to release one every year when our contracts are two years! I mean, I realize its probably a genius marketing strategy that has made them millions of dollars doing it that way... but... for OCD people like myself, it causes problems.

What I read said that because the iPhone 4 was "rumored to have signal issues" it hurt Apple's reputation, and until they "tweak" it and make a great product again, some will still hold that opinion of the company. Now, I haven't had a single problem with signal/antenna issues in 4 days of regular use without a case (waiting on FedEx haha). So its not so much that the phone is inferior, but that people THINK it is... so the article said it would be a smart move for Apple to get a newer model out sooner rather than later.

12. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

you are a lost cause that believes everything he reads

everything you mentioned is rumors

keep the phone if you like it, return it if you don't, no one is forcing you to buy a new phone every year

apple usually updates their iPhone every year in june/july, but that doesn't mean that its confirmed either

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Dont believe everything you hear or read.
    Its all speculation.

14. eloro thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoa... what's with the personal insults guys?

Anyway... I never said any of this was FACT. Of course I know it is all speculation. The whole point of this thread was supposed to be to give me an idea of what others think about the speculation... After all, sometimes rumors turn out true. I remember seeing a picture released online that was "rumored" to be the iPhone 4... before anyone at Apple had officially released anything about it. That was speculation that turned out to be true.

All I wanted was opinions as to what others would do in my shoes.

More explanation on my situation: My wife got the phone for me... as we share a family plan at AT&T. So she used my upgrade that was due (which I had been holding off on) to get it. So basically if I don't return this phone I will be stuck in another two year contract. That's why this could be a big deal for me.

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Two options: Take it back now and wait for the update, or use it now then sell it when the new iphone comes out (use your 3GS while selling it), then take the proceeds from the iPhone4 and buy the new iPhone5.

Either way, it is completely a preference thing. You should get enough from the iPhone4 to compensate nicely for the newer version. If you go that route, just be sure to baby the iPhone4 so it brings top dollar when you do decide to sell it.

Me personally, I get a new phone every 24 months and forget about worrying about the latest and greatest. When my 2 years are up, I get the best and then let technology advance while I enjoy my current phone. If you are constantly worried about what's coming out in 6 months, you will never get a phone...something better is always around the corner.

In terms of Android versus Apple...I AM SO SICK of the debate. Android is AWESOME!!! I GET IT!!! So is iOS. I'm pulling for Android and iOS so competition will drive innovation for us consumers. Bottom line, Chevy versus Ford, Steak versus Lobster...who cares? Android will never satisfy everyone just like iOS will never satisfy everyone. Does it really matter if Android sells more handsets? Does it matter if Apple sells more? NO IT DOESN'T!!! Google and Apple are too large companies that will not go away, so everyone needs to learn to play together...because the bottom line is...we have to. If you like Android, I'm happy for you...seriously! If you like Apple, I'm with you...as I do too, but I'm not resistant to acknowledging something better might be out there...I just don't care because my handset does everything I need it to.

...and I digress!

Cosmo

16. ktang macrumors member

First there are many like you that probably walks in the same shoes as you, if you just scroll down from your thread or even click to get to page 2, etc. there are many threads just like yours that has many ideas on many speculations.

Not sure how AT&T works for you, but for me I'm already eligible for upgrade and I got my iPhone 4 on second day of launch. To be exact, 4 months after I purchase my iPhone 4, I was already eligible to upgrade. AT&T will love to keep refreshing your two year contract, this way you'll be stuck with them forever.

17. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Based on the traditional pattern that Apple has had a new release of iPhone every June/July of every year from the start of the first iPhone in 2007 it it most likely possible that a new iPhone (iPhone 5) would be release in June/July 2011. I'm riding out these six months and will hold on to my 3GS.

Cheater Vargas - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

I really doubt a new one is released in January. iPhone 4 is still the best phone on the marked by far.