Should I return my new macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mac3973, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. mac3973 macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2011
    I use my computer for day to internet, youtube, itunes, word processors, and the occasional DVD rip.

    So I purchased my 13” 1.86 ghz 2GB 128 SSD late 2010 model last week, not doing too much research on the newer 2011 model due out any time. After doing some research, it seems like (almost) everyone is hating on the C2D processor because it is old technology, and almost everyone who is in the market for one is holding out for the 2011 model. I just don't know if I will see that big of a difference in performance for my simple computer tasks.

    So here is my conundrum, Should I return the one I just purchased and take the $180 hit on the restocking fee. One thing that would make the decision easier to swallow is the fact that I did not get the back to school $100 gift card with my purchase, so buying the new one would in a sense would possibly make it an $80 loss.

    Thanks for your time.
  2. soco macrumors 68030


    Dec 14, 2009
    Yardley, PA
    Why not? What's $180 to get the latest and greatest?

    Would they even, possibly, swap it for free? Just considering I've never had to do that, I'm not sure.
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    Those hating on the C2D are grossly misinformed. It is not outdated and will do everything you need. There is absolutely no need to return your Mac, because it will easily do everything you described.
  4. awer25 macrumors 65816


    Apr 30, 2011
    The one you have will work fine, but being that we're so close to a refresh (supposedly), I would personally return/sell it and get the new one. The C2D is fine, but the new SB chips are more powerful. Who knows what else there might be as well, like a backlit keyboard, thunderbolt (which will hopefully get used soon), and potentially more battery life.

    Maybe you could sell it on Craigslist for more than the return - restocking fee. Or, find a problem and return as defective (or just beg for no fee - sometimes works :)
  5. JR1993 macrumors regular

    Jun 1, 2011
    However, for a bit of extra future proofing, you could get the new one. Seems a shame to buy something then it be replaced so soon by a newer model. I dont agree with waiting for ages if you need a mac, just to get the new model, but you have the choice.
  6. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2006
    Mainly it's the morons who have to have the latest technology that are hating on the C2D and most don't even need it. Most of what you are doing would be fine with a Pentium 4 for that matter.

    Anyway, you may want to wait for another reason as I would as I personally wouldn't get an air with the 2GB ram. That's going to be a bigger issue in the long run. I just purchased an Air used because there are tons of them on the market now at substantial discounts versus new. I have a brand spanking new 17" MBP i7 quad and for the uses that you describe my Air feels just as snappy. Hell, my 2007 C2D works just fine for most of what you describe.
  7. Oldandintheway macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2010
    Ask yourself why you want the new one. If that reason is worth $180 take it back if not keep it.
  8. PorterRocks macrumors 6502


    Jan 31, 2010
    There's your answer. It's not like the one you just got will stop working when the refresh is released. It seems to suit your needs just fine. However, if you want to pay the $180, then go for it.
  9. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    If it's any help, let me assure you that Lion runs great on my 2010 MBA. It remains the fastest machine I have in terms of everyday tasks, and that's up against a 2008 8-core Mac Pro and an 2009 17" MBP.

    There's really no reason to take it back.
  10. iPodZombie macrumors newbie

    Jun 21, 2011
    The Core 2 Duo is fine for basic everyday use, and the fact that the current Air still uses relatively high-end SSD storage compensates for it in most cases.

    However, one area that Sandy Bridge may significantly benefit you is in the battery life department - but only if you keep a lot of things open. The current Core processors are more energy efficient when you're doing a lot at once, whereas the Core 2 Duo is more efficient when idling/doing something less taxing. So if your usage means keeping iTunes open, a bunch of tabs, some Flash videos, a few other apps - i.e. pushing your computer moderately hard for day to day use - then Sandy Bridge may help.
  11. OSMac macrumors 65816

    Jun 14, 2010
    Where did you buy it, I thought Apple no longer charges a restocking fee?

    If it's only a $80 loss to the new model that would be fine,
    you would never be able to sell yours used and lose any less,
    problem is the new model does not exist...

    Check Apple store refurbished prices as well.
  12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

    Jan 5, 2011
    Lots of good advice on this thread. I use the current version daily, and it does everything I need very well, especially with the SSD. The C2D is a fine chip, if getting a bit long in the tooth.

    If I were you, I'd return it and wait, since you are only weeks away from the refresh.
  13. cleric macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    4gb of ram will make a much bigger difference than Sandy Bridge.
  14. Hankster macrumors 68020


    Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    100% agreed. There is nothing your current machine cannot do for you based on your use. You don't need the latest and greatest to browse the internet, watch videos, and word process. It's like getting a Audi to drive 30mph.
  15. awer25 macrumors 65816


    Apr 30, 2011
    In my opinion, it's not so much the CPU as it is the other likely updates. With Sandy Bridge, you SHOULD get better battery life. Also, with the new refresh there's a great possibility of a backlit keyboard and Thunderbolt. Right now Thunderbolt is basically useless, but remember that on the current Air, there is NO high speed connection. Other laptops at least have Firewire 800, but the Air only has USB 2.0.

    Normally, I never tell people to wait to buy something new in the future b/c there will ALWAYS be something better. In this case though, it seems we are a couple mere weeks from a new Air.
  16. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

    Jun 27, 2004

    This too. It's not just the CPU. As pointed out, Thunderbolt has *huge* potential - especially it's ability to daisy chain - on a tiny lappy like the MBA with limited ports.

    And as awer25 also pointed out - we're weeks away from a refresh. It's prudent to wait unless you *need* a computer right now.

    Where'd you buy the MBA from, OP? Apple has no restocking fees. Most others have 5-10% (seems like it's be less than $180?).
  17. mac3973 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2011
    I purchased it from the mac store, a northwest mac/apple chain. They charge a 15% restocking fee on open items, I bought it on the 16th, so I have till the 30th to decide whether or not I am keeping it.

    Im starting to think I should return it anyway as I may have made a poor choice in choosing the 2 GB ram.

    I think I am going to return it and wait and get 4GB ram in the new 2011 model.
  18. awer25 macrumors 65816


    Apr 30, 2011
    Well at least keep it until the 30th - if the new one is released by then (doubtful), maybe they will waive the restocking fee since you'd be buying a new one.
  19. mac3973 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2011
    Ya, but isnt the $100 app store gift card for back to school only provided by apple themselves, not third party stores like the mac store, or best buy?
  20. awer25 macrumors 65816


    Apr 30, 2011
    Best Buy is apaprently matching the deal, but with their own giftcard. Other stores may follow suit as well...
  21. tungo529 macrumors member

    May 11, 2010
    I was told by both Apple stores here in Kansas City that Apple has done away with their restocking fee policy. I was told the first time 2-3 months ago and just 2 weeks ago at the other store.

    Maybe they were jerking my chain....I don't know.

    I'm ready for the new model as I sold my MBA ultimate just 2 weeks ago with Applecare for nearly as much as I paid for it. Not a bad deal IMO.
  22. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    I pretty much agree with this. I bought my MBA (Rev C SSD) shortly before the last update (there were vague rumours that Apple might even discontinue the MBA) as I travel a lot and needed a light speedy computer and am very happy with it, indeed, so happy it has become my sole computer and I subsequently sold my 2008 15" MBP.
  23. mac3973 thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2011
    I bought it from a third party store called the Mac store, they are not apple.

Share This Page