Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemicat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Hi I've been reading some of the other posts, and I'm new to this forum and I've been searching other threads to try and figure out what to do, but I'm still unsure and I figure maybe some of you have more experience with the air than I do. So here's the story: I just bought one of the refurb rev a Macbook Air's, the 1.8ghz ssd, and for the first few days it was silent as could be, then the fan started getting noisy- I'm thinking it might have been due to one of the updates? But I installed SMP fan control and Istat and my machine doesn't really seem to be running hot- and even at 2500 rpm I can hear the fan running.

Also a few times tonight the screen and keyboard goes black for unknown reason- like the computer died, but then it comes back again right to where I was but it dropped internet connection and connection with the external hard drive. Although it picks it up faster than when it wakes up from sleep? I'm very confused, I've never had any problem like this and don't know what to call it. I thought it was because it was running hot but apparently not because I'm running 52degrees and less than 2500 rpm on the fan right now and it just happened while I was typing this. What is going on- and should I go to the genius bar or should I just call up and send it back?

I should say I do work my poor little computer hard. Constantly I always am torrenting to an external USB drive with transmission, too many tabs open in firefox, VLC, often multiple apps- garageband with itunes, audiohijack, quicktime, and word all at once for my podcast for example. Plus I run parallels and a bunch of tax programs on the windows side when I use it for work. Possibly I'm just demanding too much of this poor little computer- especially with the small internal drive and many of these programs accessing the external hard drive at once?

Ideally I'm hoping that someone knows some secret that I missed an update or need to get some script manually to fix the blacking out problem. For the noisy fan- is that something the genius bar can replace? Or am I having too much problems with a one week old computer that I should just send it back and try the dice with another one? Also does anyone have any experience with actually returning a refurb where you could give me a timeline that I would know when I would get a replacement?

I don't really want to send it back if I can get away with it- it will mean I'll be computerless because I already sold my trusty white macbook that has served me so well for the last three years :(

Thanks for your advice,
Crystal

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Also a few times tonight the screen and keyboard goes black for unknown reason- like the computer died, but then it comes back again right to where I was but it dropped internet connection and connection with the external hard drive. Although it picks it up faster than when it wakes up from sleep? I'm very confused, I've never had any problem like this and don't know what to call it. I thought it was because it was running hot but apparently not because I'm running 52degrees and less than 2500 rpm on the fan right now and it just happened while I was typing this. What is going on- and should I go to the genius bar or should I just call up and send it back?

It's probably going to sleep. Try installing InsomniaX or Caffeine. If it's happening whilst your typing, try reflashing the PRAM and resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US) and reinstalling Leopard to fix whatever's eating the sleep system.

Hemicat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks- I'll try that

Didn't think of that, I'll change my settings around and see if it helps. And I'll check out those apps. I'll let you know if it works....

If that fixes the blacking out issue my only complaint would be the noisy fan- do you think that would be something the genius bar could handle ok?

Hemicat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Thank you Saladinos!

It's probably going to sleep. Try installing InsomniaX or Caffeine. If it's happening whilst your typing, try reflashing the PRAM and resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US) and reinstalling Leopard to fix whatever's eating the sleep system.

Thanks! I reset the SMC using the info on the link you gave me and changed my power preferences to not sleep and I've been using the computer for the last three hours (back and forth btw OSX and Parallels) and it seems to have fixed the problem! You can't imagine how greatful I am, you have totally saved my weekend!!! (and the coming week for business...) If you ever are in need of tax help email me through my website: CrystalClearTax.com and I will repay you in the area of my expertise!

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
You're welcome :)

As and FYI if anybody comes across this thread in the future: the fact that the USB and internet was dropping indicated a sleep problem. Issues with the graphics card wouldn't do that. Macs do, however, disconnect from USB devices and WiFi when going to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.