Should I return my rMBP 15" base model ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfgbg, Feb 1, 2014.

1. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Hello there,#
    I bought a base model 15 " Retina MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago and I'm thinking about exchanging it for the model with the dGPU.
    I don't do more than moderate gaming and I will probably never do.
    I always had a dGPU and somehow I don't like the thought that I have "only" an integrated graphics card.
    I mean they never were that good.
    But the higher model is so expensive and I don't want to pay that much for a computer.
    I got it for 1790€ from Amazon and the MacBook with the 750M would cost 2350€ so it's a difference of almost 600 Euros.
    So, is the Iris Pro good for an iGPU ? And is it future proof ?
    Many thanks in advance

2. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

If it gets the job done, what's wrong about it being an integrated chip?

3. WallToWallMacs macrumors regular

IMHO unless you're going to use it for gaming or work that requires OpenGL heavy lifting you'll find that the Intel integrated GPU's aren't anything like what they were back in the x3100/GMA 950 days thus there is more than sufficient head room into the future.

4. asdfgbg thread starter macrumors regular

asdfgbg

OK, that sounds pretty good. I don't need the bigger SSD + Ram + the faster processor of the high end model but the GT 750M would still be nice:)

I don't know how much better the gaming performance is on the 750M but I guess the difference isn't the 600 Euros worth, is it ?

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am also on one another forum and everyone there seem to be suggesting there with the IRIS PRO as an Integrated graphic those are very different and powerful compared to the earlier integrated GPU chipsets from Intel ! There have been also cases of DGPU failures in the past and NVIDIA seems to have a problem with making these, hear this from a lot of people ! If you wanna use your Mac for longer period of time, safe would be to go for the IGPU unless you need the DGPU for work or if you are a 24/7 gaming freak. This happened with me I had a Sony Vaio with an NVIDIA DGPU one day it failed after 5 years, corrupting the entire display and crashing the OS entirely. I was told by the service guys that this a problem with NVIDIA GPU ! IMO with a DGPU you make your Mac the most powerful beast but it comes with a risk it may, I am saying it may fail 1% possibility !!

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

You can have a look at notebookcheck.net and see. It generally varies from being roughly on par to about 30% slower. In some rare games it can even be slightly faster than the 750.

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If you want to game why not pick up a Steam Machine for 600$ with a better CPU/GPU combo than sending back a laptop that is great to begin with for a WAY overpriced GPU that you're not planning on using?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, integrated GPUs have come a long way and while it will lilt under many games, its a good GPU

As for future proof, how long will you be planning on keeping it? 3 years, then the laptop should be capable of handling your needs.

My wife uses a 2010 laptop and while she doesn't play any games the laptop going on 4 years is more then enough.