Should I return my rMBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPurpleblob, Nov 25, 2012.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Hi guys, I'm thinking of returning my rMPB 15 and getting a cMBP 13 inch instead. If I put a SSD, 16gb RAM, in the cMBP, do you think I'll be satisfied with the purchase? Basically I thought I was going to do a lot of photo editing, video editing, when I got this thing, but I have not found the time to pursue my hobby.

All I'm really doing right now is just writing papers, surfing the web, and writing code.

If I do get the cMPB the thing I'm worried about is, is it going to hold the value? Of course that depends on the actions of Apple, next year...
    What do you guys think?

2. BRyken macrumors 6502

IMO Apple computer hold value for quite a while. Much longer than PCs. I'd said go to the 13, you won't be disappointed either way.

3. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

How about the rMPB 13?
    Do you guys think there will be a dedicated graphics version of it next year?

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Not likely, since the integrated graphics will be considerably faster than the current HD4000.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would go with a non retina MBP 15in.
    Still dedicated graphics and is faster compared to 13in.

And no, I believe they wont have dedicated GPU on rMBP next year.

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Once you're used to high-quality IPS panels (whether it's retina or just a conventional hi-res) it's hard to go back. 13" rMBP is impressive and is a very good machine by itself. But it definitely gives less for the money than 15" rMBP.

I wouldn't consider 13 cMBP due to archaic screen resolution and low-quality TN panel (it's all compared to proper IPS). 13 rMBP by default gives you the same low screen real estate but at least there's a solution for that. 15 cMBP on the other hand will be at least as expensive as 15" rMBP when configured to the same specs (even by aftermarket upgrades)

7. yauzers619 macrumors member

I agree with maratus. I wouldn't go for the 13" cMBP, the screen and it's resolution is very dated.

Now that I have a rMBP 15" it's literally day and night.

8. JellyFish macrumors regular

I have the 13 inch rMBP and I love it. If the 15 isn't what you want, try the 13. You might like it better. I wouldn't try going back to a non-retina screen though as some here have already pointed out. It'll bother you every time you look at the screen,

9. leekohler, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The 15" rMBP is a game changer, IMO. We no longer need the desktop MP. I'm a pro user and I say if you don't need the power, don't pay for it.

However, I would not invest in a cMBP right now either. It's dead tech.

If I were you, I'd go 13" rMBP or Air.

10. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Like the others have said on the forum though, I wouldn't want to go for the rMBP 13 because of the fact that I would only be saving 250 dollars if I do take this route.

The MacBook Air, it only has 4 gigs of ram... And I prefer not to BTO over online as I need a computer daily. And I would prefer getting it on the spot anyway.

Also, I would also like to think of my downgrade as a replacement computer until a more refined and stable version of the retina line comes out.

11. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

12. wiznet macrumors regular

For clarification, what do you want in a "more stable" rmbp?

The lag issues are not hardware issues, and IR is very blown up, for the most part.

13. Haifisch macrumors regular

The Air's high-rez screen is the only other screen I would spend hard-earned cash for. The standard 1200x800 doesn't cut it on the 13". The best value in the Apple lineup is the 13" Air. Best blend of performance and portability.

Waiting another week for a BTO is hard but worth it. I almost caved in and bought 2.3/8/256 15" rMBP when I knew damn well 16G is the way to go for a machine that cannot be upgraded. OS X is not the lean operating system it once was. 4G is minimum for ML today, 8G is for tomorrow.