Should I return my rMBP? I need Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, Oct 12, 2012.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

I have a problem with my rMBP and i'm not sure if it is just an easy fix or if there is a serious hardware issue.

I connect my rMBP to an external Epson projector very often to watch movies.

I use a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter to connect my laptop to this projector.

Last week I noticed that the Thunderbolt Port right beside the power port does not work.

When I plug it into my projector the screen on my rMBP goes black and nothing shows up on the projector.

I did notice that if I close my rMBP in clamshell mode and use a wireless mouse, it will show up on the projector screen.

This is kind of odd because when I connect to the other Thunderbolt port, the rMBP switches resolutions and immediately shows up on the projector.

I called Apple, but the guy just told me to take it to my nearest Apple Store. Thats 3 hrs away and I don't want to take the drive if I have to.

Is there something that I am missing here???

Or do you guys think that my Thunderbolt port could be faulty.

By the way, just to be a little more descriptive. When I connect my projector to my rMBP on the port that doesn't work, my screen immediately turns black. I can still see my mouse pointer, but its incredibly HUGE. About the size of a dime.

Please help if you can. I really appreciate it.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like something else is going on.

Do you have an external bootable backup, if so you could try to boot from that one and look if it is the same, you could also try to login into a different User account or make one if you don't have one and see if the problem is still there.
    Or, try to boot up in safe mode, look what happens then.

3. myusuf252 macrumors newbie

i have the same situation, try your suggestion by login to a different user account, still the same.Never try your 2nd option though, can you guide me on that.

Thanks

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'd have Apple send you a shipping box and send it into a Service Center. My experience is that the repair is faster, better performed and it's returned within a day or two.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I guess you want to know how to safe boot, hold the shift key just after you press the ON button and hold it until you reach login screen.

6. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

I fixed it by resetting the PRAM. It seems that the rMBP saves display settings for each individual Thunderbolt Port. I must have accidentally created some weird settings for one of the ports which caused it to mess up.

7. myusuf252 macrumors newbie

hi, good to hear that, may i know how do you solve this? thanks